• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Speaker hum

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TheGreySpectre

When I plug in my computer (or moreover my dads) to our hometheater system we get a low hum, I have it plugged into the computer by a coaxe cable

I cant tell you what frequency the hum is but it is really low

the cable is just plugged into the defualt sound card on an Asus K8N-E

Suggestions, would a fiber optic cable help?

so what would be the minimum sound card to not get a hum, or would doing the fibreoptic out help?

Last edited:
If you have optical out then yes, it probably would help. I get some hum through my audio system if i have a mic plugged in and turned on, make sure you mute the line in and mic if you aren't using them. Have you tried a different cable to see if maybe your cable is buggered?

J.

I have checked the cable by using it in my system, the cable is Monster 8ft coaxe cable, and it gives great sound when i plug it into my computer

I am going to try using a fiberoptic cable because i dont think there as suseptible to interferance

whats a good reasonly priced sound card though? that can crank out the sound but doesnt cost $150

You have a ground issue. Try gounding the shield of the coax to your computer case.

you know i'll be glad if yours gets fixed because a few other people along with myself just suffer with it because we were never able to get it properly fixed after trying multiple cables multiple comps multiple sound systems and even putting the reciever and pc on the same powerstrip.....

What kind of cable do you have connecting your sub to the receiver? Is it a regular coaxial or is it a subwoofer cable?

Im Pretty Sure its not the cables, because, First of all my parents bought top of the line cables for everything, 2nd of all there is no hum when its NOT hooked up to my dads computer, Third of all There is no hum when its hooked up in the exact same fashion to my computer

I think I will go with that chaintech card

Thanks TheGreySpectre

Back