• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CPU Problems

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mrhohoha

hi
I have recently upgraded to an Intel Pentium III processor, rated 700Mhz/256Kb (cache)/100Mhz FSB on my older PC. I am currently using an Intel 810 motherboard.
My problem is that although the CPU is rated for an FSB of 100, my motherboard is limiting it to 66. Even though the clock multiplier is still correct (7), the FSB is causing he speed to be curbed to 467Mhz.
I tried using a higher FSB using my BIOS settings, but apparently it only allows 66, 75 and 83. When I change this to anything but 66, the system boots to the POST screen and then just freezes. There is an option in my BIOS, CPU Clock ratio, offering settings such as 3, 3.5, 4...to 9, but I don't think this is the multiplier.
On my motherboard, there is a table showing what jumper settings I have to change for different FSBs. However, the jumpers themselves seem to be soldered together. The pins are not there.
Does anyone have any advice on how to change the FSB in any other way, maybe using some tweak utility? I am currently using an Intel 810 chipset, with an Award software BIOS.
thanks
hohoha

its an intel board? im surprised it gave you any options at all for fsb in the bios.

to get a 100fsb chip to work, you'll most likely need a bios update, if there is one.

It seems like you have an older motherboard that does not support 100fsb CPU's. As HBB suggested, you could try and look for a BIOS update, but your chances are small i think.

Problem partly solved

hi all
thanks for replying to my thread. in fact, yesterday i finally did manage to change the fsb to 100 using a set of jumpers i had overlooked. so my pc is running merrily at 700Mhz (100*7). However, I would still like to overclock my PC, if possible, by changing the multiplier or something, if some utility allows me to do this. any suggestions on this guys?
thanks
hohoha

SoftFSB?

hi guys
i tried using a utility called SoftFSB by H.Oda! but I am not quite sure whether my motherboard (Intel 810 with Award Modular BIOS) is supported. I read somewhere about these forums that Intel 810s, and Pentium IIIs make a good overclocking setup, but I am not quite sure how to go about it.
can anyone tell me of a good utility or something which enables you to overclock by changing the clock multiplier?
thanks

that clock multi is locked. your best shot if you can't oc in the bios is, like you said, with a prog like softfsb. you need the appropriate pll file.

It will probably run with the following chipsets ...

Intel PIIX4, PIIX4E Controller M/B
440BX, 440ZX, 440EX, 440GX, 440LX, 430TX, 450NX Chipset

Intel 82801AA, 82801AB Controller M/B
i810, i810e, i820, i840 Chipset

VIA VT82C596A, VT82C596B, VT82C586B, VT82C686A Controller M/B
Apollo Pro 133/133A, Apollo Pro Plus, Apollo Pro, Apollo MVP3, Apollo VP3 Chipset

AMD 756 Controller M/B
AMD-750 Chipset

taken from: http://www.plasma-online.de/english/upgrade/tweak/overclock/oc_soft_fsb_docu.html

there is contact info there, if you aren't sure, shoot him an email asking for help.

Back