• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

abit IC7-G does not recgonize any SATA drives

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

xcgames

hi all, this is the problem I'm having. There is a total of 3 SATA harddrives in my system, but when I connect them to my abit IC7-G mobo, the mobo doesn't not detect any of them. (i'm not looking to raid these drives) All drives are connected to power and are connected to the mobo's SATA ports. The BIOs has SATA enabled, yet during POST it doesn't recognize ANY of the drives :bang head . The mobo does detect my burner on the IDE channel.

two of the drives are western digital 250g, one of them is 74GB raptor. any suggestion is greatly appricated!

add: I just OCed my 3.4ghz P4 EE to 3.9ghz today, and I havn't been able to boot to windows due to the harddrive problems. POSTing is fine though, it halts on a message saying DISK BOOT FAILURE because there is no disk detected. Could OCing have caused this problem?

just double checking, I need to activate RAID even if i'm not going to run the drives in RAID0 or RAID1? thanks!

Ya its a pain. I know at least 2 of the headers require it activated (I got a 36 and a 80gig on that controller).

The other 2 are controlled a different way and you got to make sure that Channels 3/4 are activated to let them use those 2 SATA connectors too. Don't remember what menu it was under I got sick of messing with those 2 and went and used the RAID channels (much easier)

Actually, you DON'T need to enable the SATA RAID ROM (which actually is the program you use, that will create arrays if you tell it to),
Only the SATA controllers themselves.

I believe there are actually 2 areas you need to enable them, in integrated peripherals...

You may also need to tinker with the bios features setup, and boot devices...

Ya but 2 SATA's do run off the raid controller. Because they only show during the raid boot screen. Even though u don't use the controller for raid it needs to be on to use 2 of the 4 SATA ports.

I had a hell of a time getting my system setup originally when I did this, and enabling the RAID controller was the only way it worked for me (since it didn't like the other 2 SATA ports for some reason). Couldn't seem to get them to work of the IDE channel 3 & 4, they just didn't like it for some reason with the other drives/hardware I had at the time.

Make sure you have the regular power connector, the SATA cable and that other SATA part that comes from the psu, it is the slot on your HDD next to the small SATA cable. Its thin.

On the new power supplies with built in connectors, there is a 5th wire for 3.3vdv. What is this for? Drives seem to work ok the the 4 wire adaptor.

Back