• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Burnt Power Connector...help!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

LMFRY

can someone please explain to me what made my power supply to melt the mobo connector to melt to my board and cause me to have to get new board?

When the connectors get loose or oxidised, the resistance builds up, when there is resistance, work is done to overcome it, that work is heat, as they get hotter, they get even more resistive, and then... melty melty :(

oh and i forgot...it locked up playing counter-strike:source and i got it to boot again and my voltages were going really crazy..so i shut it down to prevent damage to anything..and could smell the burnt plastic. my 12+ was at like 14...my 3.3 was at like 5 and the 5.5 was at like 3....and then turned it off to look in the case and it was burn to heck. So is this just because of my cheap power supply or was it something else?

It likely just fried the board. I had a Turbolink powersupply do the same thing to an MSI nForce2 board. The board and PSU were toast, but everything else was fine.

thank god...i really dont wanna hav to replace cpu too...i think im gonna buy an asrock p4v88 or whatever its called..and i traded my buddy a fx5700 for 512mb of valueselect and a maddog 550Watt psu..it should be a bit better than my generic one i had....thx

Is there a better option than the ASRock p4v88 for around $40 us.

Back