• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

old-school t-bred 1700+ info.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Shuzzy

i've got an old t-bred lying around that's gonna get some action here soon so im looking for alittle info on it. the stepping is AIUGA 0247. what im wondering is if it locked or not? and what would be some decent speeds to hit with it on air? thanks for any info.

looks like these are unlocked, and typically oc around 2.0ghz. any confirmation on this? not bad for a free chip.

It shouldn't be locked. Is it a DUT3C or DLT3C? Either one should hit 2-2.4GHz, with the DLT3C being the better overclocker. I could only run 2GHz with my DUT3C, it was a bad overclocker.

I believe that's a thoroughbred A, which won't get nearly as high as the B revision. Still, it should be unlocked and you can aim for 2GHz (just don't be too disappointed if you miss).

Gnufsh said:
I believe that's a thoroughbred A, which won't get nearly as high as the B revision. Still, it should be unlocked and you can aim for 2GHz (just don't be too disappointed if you miss).

sounds good. do half multi's work with these? like say 200x9.5?

also, what's a safe voltage with good air cooling?

Last edited:
Shuzzy said:
AFAIK, they do.

Well, the default voltage for thoroughbred As is 1.5v. 1.6v is probably safe. I wouldn't go much higher than 1.7 myself, but I'm not a high-volt type of guy, and I don't have any direct expierence with the A revision (my current cpu is a Thoroughbred B).

Gnufsh said:
AFAIK, they do.

Well, the default voltage for thoroughbred As is 1.5v. 1.6v is probably safe. I wouldn't go much higher than 1.7 myself, but I'm not a high-volt type of guy, and I don't have any direct expierence with the A revision (my current cpu is a Thoroughbred B).
Are you sure of that. I rememner my xp2400 having a stock vcore of 1.65, the same as the Barton's.

you should be fine 1.85ish should be the limit, cuz its going to make hella heat if you arent prepared heheh, if its a tbred b, you can probably expect around 2400mhz, mine takes 1.875 to roll at that speed

rseven said:
Are you sure of that. I rememner my xp2400 having a stock vcore of 1.65, the same as the Barton's.
Isn't that a tbred B? Anyway, all tbred A 1700+s have a vcore of 1.5.

freeagent said:
you should be fine 1.85ish should be the limit, cuz its going to make hella heat if you arent prepared heheh, if its a tbred b, you can probably expect around 2400mhz, mine takes 1.875 to roll at that speed
It's an A.
All TBredAs have a stepping code which ends in "A," like "AIUGA."
All TBredBs have a stepping code which ends in "B," like "AIUGB."
http://www.overclockers.com/tips00173/

edit: I checked and the 2400+ is a TbredB (there were no TbredA 2400+s).

Shuzzy said:

Multipliers for this unlocked T-Bred A will depend on the mobo brand.

Some will give you only low range (12.5 and below), others the full range of multis. There is a wire trick to enable high range if your mobo cannot post high range multis but you're not likely going to need them as this chip will likely do under 2 GHz or so thereabouts.

Most AIUGAs need over 1.8 volts for major overclocks but this requires decent cooling so watch your temperatures.

In any case, the power supply brand will also affect your overclock so I would post the entire system specs to get useful opinions.

[200] FSB x 12 = 2400 MHz @ 1.85 Vcore with memory frequency at 100% [200 FSB] @ 2.90 Vdimm
Epox 8RDA+ v1.1, BIOS 07/29/2004
Thermalright SLK-947U with variable speed 80x25mm Thermaltake Smart Fan 2
AIW 9600XT 128MB; Antec SX-835II case ; 380W Antec TruePower TP380
Four 80x25mm Case Fans + 1 Variable speed 80x25mm Fan YS-Tech FD1281259B-2F

c627627 said:
Multipliers for this unlocked T-Bred A will depend on the mobo brand.

Some will give you only low range (12.5 and below), others the full range of multis. There is a wire trick to enable high range if your mobo cannot post high range multis but you're not likely going to need them as this chip will likely do under 2 GHz or so thereabouts.
That has nothing to do with locked or unlocked. The processor is unlocked, the problem is in how the board handles the FID and setting the multipliers. Many boards still only change 4 of the 5 FID bits on the XP. The 5th bit determines weather the multipliers are in the high or the low range. If your board doesn't know how to set this bit, you'll be stuck with one range or another unless you manually set it using a pin mod. If you can only access half the multipliers it's not because your chip is locked, but because your motherboard does not correctly deal with multipliers on athlon XPs (before the XP, the Athlon FID was only 4-bits).

Hey Gnufsh how you been?

Gnufsh said:
That has nothing to do with locked or unlocked.

What has nothing to do with locked or unlocked? :)

c627627 said:
Hey Gnufsh how you been?
Alright. I took a summer and a semester off from the forums.

What has nothing to do with locked or unlocked? :)
Being able to access only half the multipliers. For some reason it annoys me that many companies continued to make boards that did not properly (fully) support the features they advertised (multiplier control) on the chips they said they supported (athlon-XPs).

While you away, as far as nForce2s go, we found the fourth one that can do that.

c627627 said:
If you have a multiplier unlocked Socket A CPU like a mobile Athlon XP or an old desktop Athlon XP, we used to post how there were only three nForce2 boards that can post all multipliers (should you need them, with low rated PC2100 RAM for example): Abit, DFI and Soltek.

All other nForce2 brands needed wire tricks etc.

The fourth nForce2 that can post all multipliers (if you have a multiplier unlocked CPU) is Albatron.

c627627 said:
While you away, as far as nForce2s go, we found the fourth one that can do that.
Interesting. I have an Abit KT400 board that supports the full range of multipliers. It really is just whoever decided to sped the time to implement the feature.

Back