• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ryzen 2700 @ 4160mhz max?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AZN

AznSniper
Last year when i upgraded to ryzen 1700 I regret not doing more research, but this is what i ended up with.

cpu ryzen 1700
MB Asus Strix B350-F gaming
memory G.Skill Ripjaw 3200 CL16-18-18-38
power supply Seasonic 760w 80 plus titanium (from old mining stockpile) I have like 8 PSU ranging from 650-1000w gold-titanium from my 2014 mining days.
cooler NH D15
OS drive 960 EVO
Storage drive 850 EVO

Had i done better research i would have gotten a x370 board for my R1700 and memory with samsung memory. I got Ripjaw (Hyinx) cause that what microcenter had in stock and i wanted all my parts that day.
My R1700 is a decent overclocker @4GHZ 1.39v not the best or worst bin CPU. best score of 1770 cinebench. memory running at 3066 CL14-15-15-38
I was happy with my new computer, very smooth big upgrade over my 2700k i've been using since 2013. Ebay had a 15% coupon last week so at $255 for the ryzen 2700 I could not resist and bought it.

At the same speed 4ghz the new ryzen 2700 cinebench scored 1815 over the R1700 1770. All i changed was the CPU nothing else in my system changed, the MAX overclock i could get was 4160mhz scoring 1882 cinebench which needed 1.43v to do so. I tried all the way up to 1.5v once just to see if i could get cinebench to run at 4.2ghz but it wasnt happening.
I ended up settling for 4100mhz all cores at 1.39v which is pretty much what the ryzen 2700 is advertised as. I thought that since i had the NH D15 cooler, i didnt need to get the 2700x cause i should hit those speed anyways. Well i didn't win the silicon lottery so I regret not going for the 2700x as i "should" be able to hit 4.2ghz all cores with low voltage and if im lucky 4.3ghz stable all cores.
I dont know, what do you guys think. is my b350 board holding me back? could i get 4.2ghz stable with a x470 board? I have a fan blowing over my VRM and temps look good, even the capacitors don't go higher then 60c during prime test. I don't think i have a bad cpu, but just wish it was 4.2 stable and if i got lucky 4.3ghz. Honestly this cpu over my R1700 at 4ghz feels the same, maybe a little better but hard for me to notice. My problem is i see new shiny stuff and i want it haha.

Not sure if i want to buy a x470 to try and push higher, or just sell the ryzen 2700 and stick with my ryzen 1700 till the 7nm chips come out next year. or just sell my R1700 and be satisfied with this R2700 as i've probably already hit its max overclock. I'd likely buy a new board and samsung memory to go with 7nm ryzen next year.

"IF" i was to go the x470 route what would you guys recommend? i was looking at the strix version for $215, but im on the fence for spending that much just to see 40mhz more or worse just the same as it is now lol. But if a x470 is a major upgrade over the b350 then i dont mind trying it, but i'd like to see some improvement even minor, just saying its better won't sit well with me.

The HWiNFO screenshot was taken during a cinebench run.

HWiNFO.jpg
1882_4160mhz.jpg

I would try voltage up to 1.45V. It's about max at auto/default for these processors so should be still safe.
I just see that depends on motherboard and luck to the CPU there are results up to 4.25GHz at 1.40-1.45V.

I would try voltage up to 1.45V. It's about max at auto/default for these processors so should be still safe.
I just see that depends on motherboard and luck to the CPU there are results up to 4.25GHz at 1.40-1.45V.

i did, i tried up to 1.5v!!! and that still didn't get a run to complete on cinebench at 4.2ghz. This is the only reason im wondering if my B350 is holding me back.

From what I have seen and from my own experience with ryzen,upgrading to an x470 board will probably not gain you anything over the b350. You have hit a reasonable overclock and like you have said you have probably not hit the silicone lottery and the 2700x would have probably given better results with the overclock.

The biggest gain you may see is with getting some high speed Samsung memory. It will give you better stability and probably some better performance.

I wouldn't count on an x470 giving you a higher overclock. It might give you slightly higher benchmarking scores, however. Seems like there are some technologies built into the new Ryzen chips that can only be implemented with the X470 but I'm not sure of that at all.

You might also want to check the V_Droop under load, some boards are quite severe.

You might also want to check the V_Droop under load, some boards are quite severe.
I'm using extreme LLC which is highest on my board. But if I've tried as high as 1.5v in bios, it seems I hit my board or chips limit.

Just by the behavior, I would guess it's the board but it really isn't worth upgrading just for 100 MHz. Does that board have any current capability setting? Usually under DIGI+

Just by the behavior, I would guess it's the board but it really isn't worth upgrading just for 100 MHz. Does that board have any current capability setting? Usually under DIGI+

Nope, can't find any settings that read even close to it.

Bummer, typically on ASUS boards that DO have those settings they're located with the LLC settings. Gives th ability to set the CPU current Capability from 100% up to 140% on many motherboards. Here's a shot from the CHVI BIOS

6-Digi-.jpg

Nope, certainly don't see those settings. But gained 21 more cinebench score just by changing the performance bias, not that it really matters though, but looks good if you want a high score.

THos settings work for other things besides benchmarks but those registers were disabled by AMD because of some stability issues. In other words not every CPU will run stable with those active.

broke 1900 score with some tweaks, pretty much the limit I could get with this setup.

1902_4160mhz_3066mem.jpg

Very nice, I found those performance bias help with physics scores in 3DMark as well

I think you will see a difference with the x470 board. Just my opinion. I have a 4200 stable 24/7 overclock on my 2700x @1.36875v. I tried to update bios a few weeks ago and it screwed everything up. Back to original BIOS and everything is smooth. There has since been a new BIOS release and I might try it this weekend. I have been able to get 4350 stable but volts are a little high for my liking @1.43+. I had a bunch of issues with my crosshair vi Hero board and the 2700x. Mostly memory issues. Could not get it stable past 2133. Bios was updated.

Back