• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

X800XL water blocks

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Death909

Registered
Is there some form of waterblock for the X800XL that cools the core and the ram?
If not, which are the good waterblocks for it, and does anyone have some designs of waterblocks that cool just the ram?

I'm trying to choose either the X800XL or the 6800GT, and its come down to ease or complication of cooling.

MCW50 & Maze4 GPUs are good. Just hack up a heatsink to make ramsinks or get some ready made ramsinks.

I guess its not entirely nescessary to wc the ram.

How much heat does the core and ram produce anyway?

i dunno the exact heat specs of the x800xl, but i'll suggest a combo for you:

Danger Den Maze4 w/ Acetal top & some copper OCZ BGA ramsinks

there are a couple of waterblocks that do cool both, the GPU and ram ( on the front side only)
Auqacomputer makes the aquagrATIX800 and Innovatek makes one too - with light built in - check out the pic:
untitled.bmp
2.bmp
3.bmp

Last edited:
Death909 said:
I guess its not entirely nescessary to wc the ram.

How much heat does the core and ram produce anyway?

Does the X800XL use the same 1.6ns chips that the 6800u uses?

myself said:
The samsung chips on the 6800ultra suck a whole 2w max, each.

http://www.samsung.com/Products/Sem.../GDDR3SDRAM/256Mbit/K4J55323QF/K4J55323QF.htm

DL the pdf and go to page 45. Measured current draw at 2v ranges from 100mA to 970mA for various memory operations I dont understand. Thats the -16 version. The -20 consumes a little less. -16 is whats on the ultra cards.

So 8 chips total, 16watts.

edit---

Looks like atleast some of the x800xl's use the same chips:

http://www.shbear.com/2/lib/200503/29/20050329001.htm

Man samsung is making a good chunk of cash. Pretty much every single high end graphics card uses those same chips.

And havent looked at that samsung page recently, Never seen the K4J55323QF-GC14 chips before. Supposidly there is a 1.2ns version out also, Dont think any cards use them yet though.

Last edited:
yes, the fusion HL will fit the x800xl

and ps: the innovatek block is made out of aluminum & uses 1/4" fittings... which basically means that its out of the question as a quality block (not to mention that Al + Cu + Water = Corrosion)

since when is the D4 aluminum? the hosing is noryl & the metal thing on the pump is stainless steel if i remember correctly

but all alum system = all lower performance

yup slightly lower, So unless your going for extream rather then silence ! when I had mine dismantled it was definatly looking like aluminium, the faint white oxide is a dead give away. I will look again and do a scratch test to be shure. The circute Housing is Plastic and the black is Bake light (or one of the newer varriants).

XeonStrikeForce said:
I want to make a pule Alu system since the D4 its self is alu. then that would = zero galvanic nastiness :)

#1 where is it that said the Laing D4's housing or impeller is aluminum? I know its metal, just didnt think it was aluminum :shrug:
#2 Aluminum will corrode in a loop by itself... Still have to use additives so might as well use copper too.
#3 what does this have to do with a guys X800XL waterblock suggestion request?

Becuase some one was going on about how evile Aluminium.
2: Simple open it up and look.

So with carful design he can use the one block and so on.

"Edit"

On hind sight the adove sounds sarcastic I assure you I did not intend it to be like that. Simply open up the pumpe and see how the metal has a soft white look to it ? that is fairly unique to Alu, and scratch it with your nail, see how its shiny in that spot now? thats becuase aluminium is soft if it where steel it wouldn't have that soft look to it nor would it scrath

i just opened up one of my 3 D4 pumps... and knowing that the rotor will sometimes rub against the metal shield or whatever you want to call it on the stator, Laing would've chosen something more wear-resistant than aluminum, not to mention that the rotor itself weighs more than it would if it were made out of aluminum so i think that its stamped stainless steel

Attachments

• Picture 278.jpg
    Picture 278.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 213
anodization of aluminum doesn't do much for wear protection except for type-3 anodizing (mil-spec) AFAIK (i paintball... paintball guns are anodized 95+% of the time, so i have a little bit of knowledge in the area of metal finishing)

XeonStrikeForce said:
Anodized Alu is conciderably wear resistant, not shock resistance, but wear resistant. So in a pumpe it would be good.

Like sneaky I too play paintball and I suppose I can see what you're saying. anyone whose ever crashed into a metal or concrete bunker somewhere knows that shock and scraping on anodized aluminum makes for a nice battle-scarred barrel ;). I suppose if there wasnt much axial play in that piece you're talking about you would get some decent wear resistance out of anodizing. either way, I wouldnt put aluminum on a part that might wear if I were making a pump... thats just asking for trouble, and I'd imagine more expensive than some polymers or stainless steel. just my $0.02

Back