• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Abit AS8 or Asus P5P800?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

stingr4y

Hi all :p

I'm planning to get a 640 soon, just wondering which motherboard is better, the Abit AS8 or the Asus P5P800?

These 2 are probably my only options, as I plan to reuse my DDR rams and AGP card, and I don't think the DFI 875P-T is sold here.

The DFI is probably the best. The Abit and Asus have very similar features and either should overclock good. I would probably give the nod to the AS8 because it tends to cost less and don't have as much of a voltage droop problem.

The DFI has more issues than you can shake a stick at and BIOS support is poor. The Asus and the Abit are both solid choices although both have a voltage droop problem. The Asus BIOS support is better than the Abit. I am using the Asus P5P800 and have been pleased with it. The only real issue I've seen so far with this board is that with a FSB speed above 255-260, the BIOS sometimes reports the wrong CPU speed on boot-up, that doesn't mean that the CPU is running at the incorrect speed posted, it just means its reported wrong, once you get into Windows a quick check with CPU-Z will verfiy the correct CPU speed is actually there.

The Asus is a damn fine board and would be my first pick, the Abit following with a close second, and the DFI a VERY distant third.

The DFI has been used for some incredible overclocks, but is more expensive. If the DFI has serious flaws, I've never hear of them. I have always found Abit BIOS support to be excellent. Asus overvolts at idle and then undervolts at load. The voltage droop is far worse than Abit.

batboy said:
The DFI has been used for some incredible overclocks, but is more expensive. If the DFI has serious flaws, I've never hear of them. I have always found Abit BIOS support to be excellent. Asus overvolts at idle and then undervolts at load. The voltage droop is far worse than Abit.

You should visit the DFI forums then, they are full of problems and DFI doesn't seem to be able to fix some of them. And last time I checked the record for the highest O/C right now on an 865/875 chipset is using an Asus P5P800.

I don't have never had any problems with higher than 260FSB and CPU Speed being reported wrong.

Asus is a good solid board. No fit issues with an XP-90, so i'm pretty sure an xp-120 would fit as well.

Either the Abit or Asus would be a good choice. There is the issue of load cpu core voltage droop though. I droop about .3-.4v on load.

Know Nuttin said:
I don't have never had any problems with higher than 260FSB and CPU Speed being reported wrong.

Asus is a good solid board. No fit issues with an XP-90, so i'm pretty sure an xp-120 would fit as well.

Either the Abit or Asus would be a good choice. There is the issue of load cpu core voltage droop though. I droop about .3-.4v on load.

I had problems with the p5p800 showing the wrong speed but that was only above 290fsb i think.

Also the xp120 fits fine in any direction after you go out and buy the longer bolts for it due to the extra thickness of the board.

Know Nuttin said:

The AS8 is equally as good but has a HORRIBLE vcore droop on load. So long as you are willing to mod the board for the CPU, go right ahead.

Much like all abit products, they need alot of work to make em shine

Know Nuttin said:

That's great if yours isn't reporting the wrong speed, but it does happen on some and I've read a few people having this problem on Xtremesystems forum also. Its no big deal but its the only flaw I've been able to find so far.

batboy said:
The DFI is probably the best. The Abit and Asus have very similar features and either should overclock good. I would probably give the nod to the AS8 because it tends to cost less and don't have as much of a voltage droop problem.

Hate to break it to you, but I have had nothing but issues with my 640 and the DFI. I have an AS8 on the way, and Ill let you know how that works out. The one thing that I know, is that it can't be worse than this MB.

Interesting, 'few months ago everyone was screaming about that DFI...

I'm interested to see how it turns out, fishy.

~t0m

aNTiChRisT said:
Interesting, 'few months ago everyone was screaming about that DFI...

I'm interested to see how it turns out, fishy.

~t0m

Yea, that's before everyone starting buying them and realizing they are not all that was cracked up to be. I think recent lack of helpful BIOS support is another big issue. The board has quite a few problems out of the box, especially for an overclocker and apparently DFI is very slow about getting this fixes implemented.

Blkout said:
You should visit the DFI forums then, they are full of problems and DFI doesn't seem to be able to fix some of them. And last time I checked the record for the highest O/C right now on an 865/875 chipset is using an Asus P5P800.

It's funny how people visit the dfi forum and make assumptions that the board has TONS of problems :rolleyes:

If you read the names of the people who post about this board and the problems they have, it is about 5-10 of the same people, including myself. Its a pretty bad statement to assume that because you read about problems on a help forum, that their product is bad. Isn't that what a forum is for? To talk about problems, issues and accomplishments.

I admit it does have some problems, but all in all I think it's a great board. I have read about problems on this forum with the AS8 and P5P800. I think they all have their pluses and minuses.

Blkout said:
Yea, that's before everyone starting buying them and realizing they are not all that was cracked up to be. I think recent lack of helpful BIOS support is another big issue. The board has quite a few problems out of the box, especially for an overclocker and apparently DFI is very slow about getting this fixes implemented.

I think DFI was the FIRST to have a Bios for the 6xx series processors. Don't know how you think they have bios support issues??

I think the biggest problem is that when these Hybrid boards came out, we all thought they were gonna overclock like mad, but let's face it, they are still the 865-875 chipsets which have their limitations, regardless if they are socket 478 or 775. They do handle the Prescott's better, no question about it, but the FSB limitations are still there.

Don't confuse undervolting with voltage droop. Abit has always undervolted a little. Yes, the Prescotts do pull vcore down a little with Abit, but they don't overvolt at idle. Asus is the one that overvolts big time at idle and then droops like an old lady's boobs under load.

The only problem I had with the DFI board was getting a proper BIOS chip for the 6xx series P4. That issue was resolved quickly. Other than that, the 875p-t has been a great board.

I have always liked the ASUS boards (P4P, P4C) and was considerig the P5P800 and a 640.

Does the P5P have a more robust power system than the P4P? I am sure it does since it is designed for Prescott, but thought I'd ask. I am certain the P4C has a much better power system than the P4P though. Asus even touts on their website that the P4C has an improved power system designed for use with Prescott CPUs.

Also, any idea if ASUS are planning an 875 version of the P5P? (P5C?)

After all the reading about dual core compatibility, and 4 PCI DSP cards for my audio system the newer chipsets aren't appealing at all. I have stuck with 478 until now for this reason. Luckily I am finally stable at 3.8 with a 272fsb and am loving it, but the thought of 4+ and 2mb cache is tempting to say the least. Low latency audio recording is one area where the increased cache size makes a significant difference.

Shane

ed.howell said:
I think DFI was the FIRST to have a Bios for the 6xx series processors. Don't know how you think they have bios support issues??

I think the biggest problem is that when these Hybrid boards came out, we all thought they were gonna overclock like mad, but let's face it, they are still the 865-875 chipsets which have their limitations, regardless if they are socket 478 or 775. They do handle the Prescott's better, no question about it, but the FSB limitations are still there.

My Asus P5P800 supported the 6xx series out of the box and it was running an old BIOS when bought it, there have been two newer revisions since the BIOS that shipped with mine and it wasn't supposed to be officially supported until the latest BIOS but it still booted just fine using a P4 640 with the old BIOS, it just didn't have as many features as the newer BIOS. Can you honestly say people haven't had any trouble getting the 6xx series to work on the DFI board?

My biggest gripe with the DFI board is the BIOS support, there are known issues with that board and DFI isn't fixing them.

ed.howell said:
It's funny how people visit the dfi forum and make assumptions that the board has TONS of problems :rolleyes:

If you read the names of the people who post about this board and the problems they have, it is about 5-10 of the same people, including myself. Its a pretty bad statement to assume that because you read about problems on a help forum, that their product is bad. Isn't that what a forum is for? To talk about problems, issues and accomplishments.

I admit it does have some problems, but all in all I think it's a great board. I have read about problems on this forum with the AS8 and P5P800. I think they all have their pluses and minuses.

Yes, there are minor problems with the Abit and Asus board but there are major problems with the DFI board, they all have problems but at least the Abit and Asus boards are the least problematic and their BIOS support is much better than DFI.

Richard said:
The only problem I had with the DFI board was getting a proper BIOS chip for the 6xx series P4. That issue was resolved quickly. Other than that, the 875p-t has been a great board.

The still BETA BIOS that is out for the 6XX P4s suck. Even with my 530 in the MB it was a POS. I would crash memtest at 240+ with RAM that runs well over 270. The BIOS is terrible, the MB is very over priced, and the options and features are not even that great.

I just got my AS8 up and running, and its a world better so far. Ill need to swap the 640 into it at some point. With a vDIMM and vDroop mod this Abit is doing pretty well. Heck Hipro5 had his at 330 I think it was. Ill get there, and it won't be with the DFI.

Back