• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Any OC Veterans able to bless my current OC ? 10900k 5.1

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tobyz28

Hi all, first post here!

Have finished my first major build in almost 7 years and wow this chip has been a lot of fun. I've oc'ed quite a lot in the past but not recently and this has definitely been a big (re)learning experience for me. I've spent about a week running tests, traversing this forum, you tube, etc. and think I'm on the homestretch... Just hoping for a 2nd pair of eyes to kindly point out anything that may be of concern. I've added some additional questions / ramblings at the end.

Relevant Hardware:
  • Asus ROG Strix Z490-G Wifi (Latest Bios)
  • Arctic Cooler Freezer II 280mm (38mm Thicc)
  • DDR 3200
  • GTX 2060 6GB :( - 3080 Soon Hopefully!
  • 750W PSU
Primary Purpose:
Gaming, occasional rendering/encoding (nothing serious), work (stability important)

Overclock Settings:
  • All Cores Sync
  • Relevant Power/Temp Limits Disabled (Don't recall which settings these were any more, was a mess finding them)
  • Sp Score: 63 :(
  • Mult: 51x
  • AVX Offest: 0
  • Vcore (Bios) 1.36V
  • LLC: 6
  • Min/Max Ring Mult: 46
  • Ram: 3200->3400, all other xmpII timings kept (asus auto improve timing feature left it at auto) - this was tweaked after all other testing
HWiNFO64 under Cinebench R20 Load: https://ibb.co/LnycqQQ

Additional Questions/Comments
  • Should I be shooting for a higher Vcore and lower LLC (4 or 5?)
  • Related to ^: Posts/videos suggest some vdroop is good, but i couldn't quantify "some". Anyone able to fill me in here? My Vcore is set to 1.36, and my VID under load for my cores was 1.348, is more vdroop and less vcore desirable (if so why? :D)
  • I spent the first couple of days doing nothing but fighting with the BIOS trying to throttle this, and down-clock that... It seemed like it was doing everything to prevent me for crashing the system when i was doing my old method of change one thing, observe, repeat limit testing :S. I guess this is a thing now.. (ok more of a vent than a question lol)

Special thanks to any replies or other posts I've gone through already in this and other forums, they've been an immeasurable help so far!

-T

Regardless of cooling (at least counting it's a popular air/water solution) these CPUs won't run at more than 5.1-5.2GHz on all cores and AVX. I guess you should be happy if your chip does 5.1GHz on AIO cooler in AVX tests. Even after delidding results are not better because these chips are already maxed out.
If your software is not using AVX instructions (pretty much most software isn't using AVX) then you can set AVX offset lower and try for something like 5.3GHz all cores without AVX and 5.0GHz with AVX.

LLC depends on how the CPU acts on a specific motherboard. I haven't seen any special difference in stability changing LLC on my 10900K but typically optimal is as high voltage under load as you set manually in BIOS. So if you set 1.35V in BIOS then you expect 1.35V under CPU load.
Keep your CPU below 95°C under full load.

Regardless of cooling (at least counting it's a popular air/water solution) these CPUs won't run at more than 5.1-5.2GHz on all cores and AVX. I guess you should be happy if your chip does 5.1GHz on AIO cooler in AVX tests. Even after delidding results are not better because these chips are already maxed out.
If your software is not using AVX instructions (pretty much most software isn't using AVX) then you can set AVX offset lower and try for something like 5.3GHz all cores without AVX and 5.0GHz with AVX.

LLC depends on how the CPU acts on a specific motherboard. I haven't seen any special difference in stability changing LLC on my 10900K but typically optimal is as high voltage under load as you set manually in BIOS. So if you set 1.35V in BIOS then you expect 1.35V under CPU load.
Keep your CPU below 95°C under full load.

Awesome thank you for the response! Yes stable at 5.1 was very hard for me to get for sure (much trial, test and error), I think i'm definitely limited by my cooling solution - but this was an early on build decision I'm ok living with. I may upgrade the fans on it to perhaps squeeze a bit more out :D.

Any AVX workloads I do would be occasional so your suggestion makes perfect sense (and/or try and get a lower stable Voltage at avx -1 to just reduce overall heat).

Regarding voltages - seems like I should be ok with leaving it to LLC6 / 1.36V in Bios as I get 1.350V under load, thank you!

If you try lowering the clock then you will be surprised how much wattage and temps drop each 100MHz. I was able to reduce wattage to ~110W and temps by 30°C at 4.8GHz and -3 AVX ratio while still 10c/20t were in use. That's ~300MHz lower clock and 50% lower wattage.

Back