• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

anyone here making waterblocks for purchase???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

uzibear

commercial waterblocks are massively overpriced IMHO. any folks here who make there own want to sell a few???

anyone that makes them non comersialy would probly charge just as much if not more for anything that can compete .

the reason is comersial blocks cost less to make in bulk and someone that makes then in very low quantities has to contend with manufacture time and materials .

btw im not sure you should be asking to buy blocks here

thorilan said:
btw im not sure you should be asking to buy blocks here

Ditto, check the services section in the classifieds or post up a WTB. Unless youre locked out of there. In which the mods wouldnt take too kindly to this thread.

uzibear said:
commercial waterblocks are massively overpriced IMHO.
Why do you think this?
As a (sometimes) machinist I looked at what was available when I purchased my parts and realized they were a bargain compared to D.I.Y. Unless I had a "better" design ( which I don't) that wasn't available anywhere else, a home builder can't compete with the economy of scale that a manufacturer enjoys.

For instance, the most expensive part in my loop is the DD NV-68 VGA block @$120. While the materials cost would prolly be less than $25 (although that is doubtful given the proprietary o-rings utilized) it would take at least two days to reproduce their design ( I don't have CNC/CAD equipment).
This does not include the design phase since I would just copy theirs.
Most machine shops won't even fire up their equipment for that kind of money.
Assuming that I successfully reproduced their design I would value my block at three times the DangerDen price.
And mine wouldn't have the lazer etching on the plexi.

"Massively overpriced"?
I don't think so.

Given the very competitive and limited market share that watercooling enjoys I think the component prices are very reasonable.
Try making a part yourself and see what you think.....

I can say from experience, having just finished my first, every simple block, that commercial blocks are priced the way they are because:
a. People will buy their blocks at the price they choose
b. The machines required to make & human effort to test each block costs a whole lot (machines something like $100k)
c. It takes a long time to create a design that can be made for that price that will perform better than the last model
d. Even with super-expensive machines, it still takes a long time to make these blocks

If you think new blocks cost too much, then look around for last generation or used blocks, and if you really want to buy someone's homemade block, look on ebay or the classifieds for old ones, which probably took the person at least 10 hours to make, more if they lapped it.

Back