• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Do I need a new board?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

FenderHead06

I have an Intel Pentium 4 2.4 Ghz Northwood, 1 GB of RAM (dual channel), a GeForce FX 5700 LE, and some other things like a DVD burner, floppy drive, and wireless internet adapter. Right now, I have an Abit VT7 motherboard because a friend recommended it. I want to overclock, but every time I try (using the suppied utility within BIOS) it doesn't work. The computer locks up and won't load the operating system. Do I just need help overclocking, or should I just buy a new board? I've heard the VT7 isn't very good since I bought it, so I could go either way. Thanks.

:welcome: to the forums. your motherboard is not very overclocker friendly, mainly because it doesn't have an fsb/agp/pci divider to lock the agp and pci speeds. this is most likely what is causing the problem. most overclocking boards have a divider that allows you to increase the fsb (and hence increase the cpu and memory speed) without increasing the speed of the graphichs card and pci cards. these cards dont take well to overclocking from the fsb at all and will most likely cause serious problems when the fsb is raised more than a few mhz. so if you want to overclock seriously then you'll need a new board with the right tools

i would look into overclocking a little bit more.. there are SO many variables. how much are you raising the FSB? locking up the OS isnt good. maybe loosen your ram timings. might be that you need to pci/agp lock your stuff.. could be alot of things. if you dont know what i am talking about do a little research on the forums about it. the forums are you friend :) other then that.. at work i put together a computer with the VT7.. . i dont think you need a new board, you just need to learn to overclock and all the little things it involves :) let us know if you need futher help or have any questions... ohh yeah

WELCOME TO THE FORUMS!!!!!!! :)

EDIT:eek:hh yeah... duh, i never overclocked the motherboard. it is a work machine.. why do i recommend it? meh.. sorry

ok, i've asked a few friends about OCing, and i've fooled around a bit. i got my 2.4 up to 2.64, but when i try to go past that it won't load the os again. any suggestions?

FenderHead06 said:
Do I need a new board?

Dont fool yourself man!...

Where all in a perpetual state of needing a new board...

a better board..

a faster board...

THE BOARD!!

LoL

but on a seriose note your motherboard can definetly bottleneck the system.. not knowing the stats on your board i cant give any comments on it but its a situiation ive currently found myself in with this dang giga-byte board of mine...

ABIT here i come!

also i think batboy said it best..

BatBoy said:
The SECRET of overclocking revealed

Attention all newbies. I constantly read post from beginners wanting assistance to overclock their CPU when they have some generic or OEM motherboard that is not overclocking friendly. The secret to a successful overclocking adventure STARTS with the motherboard. You don't really overclock just the CPU, you overclock the entire computer system via the motherboard. The motherboard is the heart of your computer. You absolutely HAVE to first possess a good overclockable motherboard. The forum seems swamped with people that don't or can't understand this concept. Thank you for allowing me to rant and rave a bit.

Back