• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which window manager?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

petteyg359

Likes Popcorn
So from reading around I see that other people have the opinion that KDE sucks, Gnome is bad, IceWM is good, and fluxbox rocks. I've always liked KDE... I might try fluxbox, but does it have stuff similar to KDEadmin, KCron, etc?

I personally never really liked the look and feel to kde...I like the minimal look to gnome...i haven't tried many others, except IceWM (which i almost hated!)...but i'm on my way to checking more out.

I find KDE too slow (and too windows-ish). Gnome is much faster / more responsive. I like Fluxbox too.

Just emerge them all, that's what I did. Then I tried them all out. I pretty much use either Fluxbox or Gnome.

I have KDE but that is because it was "default". I want to try other window managers (and I did search and did goggle but didn't find my answer...)
Question: How do I change from KDE to another windows manager without installing the OS again and select the windows manager there?

What distro are you using?

If you're using a login managed (eg gdm, kdm, xdm), they should allow you to select which of the installed WMs to use. If you just ise startx, you need to modify .xinitrc to start your preferred WM instead of kde.

Back