• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PSU to suit my needs?`

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

pcgamer4life

I'm currently running:

DFI Lanparty 250ut s754
AMD 64 3000+
Geforce 6800 (unlocked pipes and shaders)
2x 80gb hard drives (7200/8mb)
Soundblaster
DVD drive (not burner)
3x 80mm LED fans
3x 80mm non LED fans
Floppy Drive
USB mouse
ps2 keyboard.

My psu is a 420w Raidmax that came with my case, 13a on 12v...

I need to upgrade (I want to over clock, add a sata HDD, overclock my gpu, add some cathodes, and add a fan controller) I don't want to spend a lot... In fact, I don't want to spend much at all, I'd rather trade in the classifieds, but I don't know what kind of PSU I need to look for. Something to power my system and more (who knows, I might just win that contest later today!)

What kind of PSU do I need, in a lower price range? I don't want to spend over $50, but I'm sure I'll have to... (that's why I want to trade or buy one used.) So any suggestions/links? Also, what do I need to look at in a good PSU besides 12v rail and wattage?

I can get a power supply without so much eye candy and with the same or better performance for much less... quality doesn't mean looks.

Besides, it wouldn't match my color scheme.

pcgamer4life said:
I can get a power supply without so much eye candy and with the same or better performance for much less... quality doesn't mean looks.

Besides, it wouldn't match my color scheme.

Well, if you can get a better PS for less money than the Fortron AX500, why are you asking us? We all know you can't but since you seem to THINK you can, go for it.

EWBatOVAclockin said:
Quality comes with a price........

PEACE

My man has a point, think this PSU has to power your entire system, if youi want to be cheap then your going to have a cheap PSU, which runs your system put it this way you aren't going to find a decent PSU for under 75.00,

I'm a strong believer in quality brand name products. Atleast with a reputable brand you know your getting reliability, and quality.

You need atleast 20A for bare stock. I wouldnt reccomend anything lower than 25A on the 12v rail. Most guys use 30A + for overclocking. Your PSU is roughly half what mine is :(

I'm saying I can probably get a PSU from a name brand without all the eye candy, just a normal PSU with close to the same, if not better, specs to fit my budget.

pcgamer4life said:
I'm saying I can probably get a PSU from a name brand without all the eye candy, just a normal PSU with close to the same, if not better, specs to fit my budget.

I wouldn't consider a Fortron AX500 a PS with eye candy, its a bare bones PS that does what its intended to do. If its out of your price range, then you will simply half to settle for an inferior PS. People buy Fortron for its value, not because its a high dollar PS.

pcgamer4life said:
Way too far out of my price range, almost double what I want to spend.

Tsk Tsk, You spend that much money on the rest of the rig which without a decent PSU to run is just so much eye candy (or a pile of smoldering junk depending on your luck). And you can't scrape up enough coin to buy a decent PSU for it. Oh well good luck to you then.

Are you trying to tell me that there's not a Fortron normal psu (non-blue storm.. just a simple non-sleeved silver/grey psu) with the same or better specs than that of the Blue Storm for a cheaper price?

seriously don't hold back your money on PSU, save your money if you're under budget until you got enough money to spend on good PSU, you will get unstable for low power PSU or not enough power for long gaming and suddely restart :) I know you don't want that to happens to as you can see most of us suggested to go with better PSU then saving yourself time and headache

I was exactly like you a year ago. I knew my PSU needed replacing but I simply did not want to spend nearly the same amount as the "real components". Just go with the Fortron, you'll feel like you have to upgrade again in a year if you cheap out now. There's a site that sells the AX-500 in the $60's with free shipping, that's a VERY reasonable price.

pcgamer4life said:
Are you trying to tell me that there's not a Fortron normal psu (non-blue storm.. just a simple non-sleeved silver/grey psu) with the same or better specs than that of the Blue Storm for a cheaper price?

Oh absolutely there is. My apologies I thought price was the issue. Yes Fortron has several nice models that will work well for you. Newegg has a nice selection.

Whatever you decide to buy, base it on what you think your power needs will be based on the life of your rig. You will save money in the long run.

pcgamer4life said:

The AX500-A more or less corresponds to the FSP460-60PFN EPS server unit - there is no non-EPS equivalent. You probably won't find this one under $50. You will, however, find the 350w dual 12v little brother to it for that cheap. I don't think I'd go any lower in that line for your system, but the 350w will do it.

http://www.ewiz.com/detail.php?name=PS-FS35TNB

Ewiz also has the 400w version for $58.

Edit - Directron has the 460w on sale for $70

http://www.directron.com/fsp46060pfn.html

Last edited:
Back