• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Fortron Source 400watt problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JTanczos

Ok I purchased a new shrink-wrapped fortron 400watt PSU from ebay. Model number FSP400-60PFN.

I went to test it tonight using a powmax ATX tester. I turned it on and all the LEDs lit up like it was fine. The LED fans I had connected ran perfectly. I turn off the master switch and turn it back on. This time only the +12v and +5v LEDs light up on the tester and the LEDs in the fans didn't turn on but strangely the fans are running at a very low RPM. Using a multimeter I found that while in this lower power mode the 12v+, 5v+ and +5vsb ran at 5 volts. +3.3v -12v and -5v did not show any readings.

I used 2 wires with a switch to jump the green and black wires. When turning on the jumper switch everything runs perfectly. When switching the master everything runs fine. Turning off the master switch, plugging in the tester, then turning it back on causes the same problem where only the 12v and 5v LEDs are on.
After testing some more I found that if I tilt the tester to about 45° of the atx plug before plugging it in then I can get about a 75% rate of total turn on(All LEDs for all voltages). If I leave it plugged in or tilt the tester the other direction then I get 0%. I tried the tester on other PSUs and it works flawlessly.

What the hell is the problem?!?
This is the one it is:
http://www2.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817104974

JT

Last edited:
*bump*

No one have any advice/comments? I looked up the fortron USA webpage but I need to fax an RMA sheet in. I want to know if anyone has had any similar issues with a powmax tester and fortron PSUs. Do I definitly need to RMA it? I am afraid to even hook it up to a motherboard with it acting the way it is.

JT

Might be a wiring problem at the ATX plug, or the 24 pin to 20 pin adaptor (if it came with one). If you're not using an adaptor, RMA it. If you are, try another adaptor if possible.

Back