• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Rigging GPU fans to work

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kingfish999

i bought a used R9 270 for cheap for a spare non-gaming computer. needed something newer than a HD5770. card works great but the fans dont come on. using a battery i verified the fans do in fact work and the card itself must be the issue.

is there a way to rig it to work correctly using a mobo fan header? obviously when the card gets hot, the mobo wont normally increase the fans

my other alternative is going to be using a switch to toggle between 12v and 5v like my case fans are

i take it Fan Control is only for Windows 10/11? I am Running dual boot Win 7 and Win 10 and it wont load for 7

i do have the cable to connect it to the mobo header and the fans work fine which is good. worse case ill force it to run like 80% cycle which i think should handle most things for the computer without being too loud

Check to see if you have .NET 3.5 installed & enabled in Win 7. If it is & it still won't run, then yes, probably only Win 8 thru 11.

I will check when I get back. but instructions say window 10/11

I tried using SpeedFan. Was pretty easy to setup a fan based from GPU temps. But it doesn't seem to actually control all the fans. I can do my NB fan but that seems to be it.

Might play around more but I currently have it set on 80 percent cycle. With Furmark to stress the card, seems to stay around 63*C. Yet it's not too loud

Speedfan... that still works? It didn't work well for me 10+ years ago. I stick to the bios or the board's application.

Well most of my knowledge is from 8+ years ago when I built my last computer. I don't know what programs people use these days. Couldn't tell ya anything about what components to use to build a new system. Wouldn't be surprised if they were on LGA5000 by this point.

But I don't think many fan control or bios programs give availability to control a fan based from GPU temps.

This computer is using an old Foxconn Blackops mobo with a Xeon CPU swapped in and OCed. It's ok for a work PC. But I have to use Windows 10. Not many good drivers for an old HD5770 and Windows 10 to use a certain program for work. Which is why I got a used R9 270. Otherwise I much prefer Win7

why dont you take the fans off the gpu heatsink and stick some regular case fans on there?

i had to do this during the zombie apocalypse to a RTX 2070 since the RMA dept couldnt guarantee a replacement and it works better and quieter than the OEM fans before they went bad.
the difference you could do is to plug them into a mobo header more easier, i bought an adapter to plug them into the card still.

i assume too you loaded the card with a workload to make sure they dont come on at a certain temp. i remember my 270/270x wouldnt spin the fans under a certain temp to be quiet when your just putzing around on the interwebs or something and i remember i could change it under Riva tuner if it makes you nervous

why dont you take the fans off the gpu heatsink and stick some regular case fans on there?

i had to do this during the zombie apocalypse to a RTX 2070 since the RMA dept couldnt guarantee a replacement and it works better and quieter than the OEM fans before they went bad.
the difference you could do is to plug them into a mobo header more easier, i bought an adapter to plug them into the card still.

i assume too you loaded the card with a workload to make sure they dont come on at a certain temp. i remember my 270/270x wouldnt spin the fans under a certain temp to be quiet when your just putzing around on the interwebs or something and i remember i could change it under Riva tuner if it makes you nervous

When I first put the card in I started crashing. That's when I realized it was overheating cause the fans were not coming on.

The fans on the card work good. It's the card itself is not turning them on probably from a circuit failure. I tried using CCC and a few other programs to try and get them to work but would not.

They sell a handy cable to connect to the VGA fans to go to a normal mobo fan header. Was like 10$ or something and it works great.

Putting a case fan on the card would leave me the same issue. The fan will not be controlled by the VGA so it will not speed up if the card gets hot.

So I either have to leave the card running at a fixed high duty cycle. Or I can use a program to control it. Which is the issue that the 2 programs I tried did not work

Back