• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Router problem - conflicting IPs

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dAvies.lOcker

Hi all

I am on a network with 3 other computers. Every now and then, i get and my housemates get an error popping up in the bottom right hand corner (All got winXP) saying something along the lines of, "IP Conflict on this network".

As far as i can gather, this doesnt seem to be affecting internet connection or anything else when it pops up and there is a conflict. (I usually ignore it or ipconfig /release, /renew in DOS). I want to stop it now tho, cos its a PITA. It has to be the router right? I have got a wired Linksys (model BEFSR41) - do i need to just set up static IPs or something?

It is already set up to give out IPs ranging from 192.168.1.1 to .100 but it akways picks between .1-.4 (that normal?).

So, basically guys, how the hell to i stop this??

Cheers D.L :beer:

Yes, since you only have 3 PCs, giving out an IP from .1-.4 is normal.
Easiest way ist to set static IPs, yes. If you can set the DHCP server to not hand out IPs in the static range anymore. This way you can leave the DHCP running and guests can bring their notebook and get an IP in your room(s) easily as well.

Does the problem occur when someone is turning on a third PC when one or two are already running and connected to the router? Seem's odd if you have DHCP enabled on the router.

You could/should be able to disable dhcp on the router and use static IP's but you shouldn't have to. The IP addressing your seeing between .1 and .4 is normal. The dhcp server uses the range provided in order..ie..it starts at the low end of the range provided and counts up.

I'm wondering if this might be WinXP seeing the relatively slow Linksys box moving through the range of available addressing until an address that has not been assigned is located?..just a thought.

Have you checked your firmware revision? It can be located on the initial page of the router login (and every subsequent page). You will also need to check which hardware version of the router you have (sticker on the bottom of the unit). The firmware download page is HERE. I would suggest upgrading the firmware if it's out of date.

Keep us posted! Hope this stuff helps... :p

klingens said:
Yes, since you only have 3 PCs, giving out an IP from .1-.4 is normal.
Easiest way ist to set static IPs, yes. If you can set the DHCP server to not hand out IPs in the static range anymore. This way you can leave the DHCP running and guests can bring their notebook and get an IP in your room(s) easily as well.

Beat to the punch every time.... :-/

Back