• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Numerous fake emails in my hotmail box

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

buckbadly

Not that I need to tell you guys to be careful...but I just went into my hotmail and there was about 10 messages saying "Here is your new account information" from various places, one being the State of Ohio BMV :rolleyes:
and another from Yahoo...all with "new password" attachments. Well...everyone was viri infected. 5 out of the 10 with the sober worm. My antivirus detected them and didn't allow them to open but I thought I would alert everyone...never had that many lame attempts at once in my inbox..not sure if its happening to everyone so be careful. :eh?:

:p I'm sure people get these everyday but I was surprised cause I'v never gotten that many at once...so I wanted to give a heads up :)

theres definately a large amount of email worms/viruses ;)
just got 2 in my hotmail and 4 in my gmx

bloody annoying

There are breakouts of a particular virus every so often. Remember back last December? That one virus was so pesky. That was anoying getting like 20 mails a day that were nothing but a virus. I set my mail filters to block certain subject line text. It seems to help, not a cure though.

The only mailbox(of mine) that never gets spam or viruses it seem is the one I use for ocf. It is not in anyones address book but the forums. Now my very public ones, get hit all the time.

This is a breakout of the Sober worm, which as of yesterday did not have any description of what it actually does on Symantec's website. It's new too, the virus definitions as of 4/28 did not detect Sober, but they released a new set yesterday (5/2) that did detect it.

Breakout for sure :bang head have about 15 more emails today...all with attachments :p Be careful fellow overclockers ;)

Back