• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Here I go. Wish me luck!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
You'll probably want 3 partitions:

/
/boot
swap

Bearing in mind an install with KDE, Oo_O, Firefox, Thunderbird etc is probably about 3GB and you'll need space for your own files I'd recommend having a / partition of at least 10GB. /boot only needs to be small. I think the handbook recommends about 32MB. If your RAM is >=512MB then I'd set a 512MB swap partition, if its less then 1.5 times should be ok.

Well I have a 11gig windows partition emptied and ready to format so I think I shall do that. Gonna wait till morning though. I *tried* to get the install going but failed horribly.

I started my install last night. Stage 2 for Athlon-XP. Went really well, just took so long to extract the tarballs that I decided to continue it tonight (I'm doing it in Virtual PC first, so I can just save the state and pick up where I left off).

So far so good. I decided to try installing Gentoo because I think it will give me a decent understanding of the very basic Linux functions, rather than starting from the top (xorg) and trying to learn my way down.

Make 3 partitions:

/
/boot
swap

Make /boot about 100 mb, swap 2x your RAM, and / everything left. Make boot and / ext3, make swap swap. If you want you can also try out reiserfs for / and /boot.

1. It took me like.. 12 hours to get gentoo fully working (had to adjust the bootloader alot).

2. Don't install it if you are very new... try something easy yet decent like Fedora.

try something easy yet decent like Fedora.

Fedora is anything but easy. I gave up on Fedora because I couldn't get stuff to install or it took me days to get simple programs running. I went to gentoo because it was so much EASIER. The only hard thing about gentoo is the install, that affects the first few days, and it's mostly a matter of following directions. With Fedora or any rpm based distro, the hard part is getting ANYTHING to work after the initial install, and that is something you must live with forever.

Nothing scares people away from linux like the difficulty of getting stuff to install in rpm based distros like Fedora.

If you want an easier install, use Xandros, and then set up the apt-get config files to use the debian servers. Then you get ease of initial install as well as the ability to install new programs later.

MRD said:
Make 3 partitions:

/
/boot
swap

Make /boot about 100 mb, swap 2x your RAM, and / everything left. Make boot and / ext3, make swap swap. If you want you can also try out reiserfs for / and /boot.
I agree boot ext2 or ext3, but I prefer / as something like reiserfs.

But..Fedora is designed to be easy, is it not? I mean I started out on Fedora just CAUSE it was easy. (well I started out on slack, really). Its not hard IMO. Yum does everything for you, RPMs worked fine for me. It really was point and click linux for me. Only problem i had was getting my x800 to work which I never did get..cause it broke.

I setup my partitions with boot as ext3 and / as reiserfs, with swap being swap of course. Boot is 32M, Swap is 1024M, and / is the rest of it (around 28G as I recall).

I'm working on it through Remote Desktop right now while I'm at work. . .shhh, don't tell anyone :)

But..Fedora is designed to be easy, is it not? I mean I started out on Fedora just CAUSE it was easy. (well I started out on slack, really). Its not hard IMO. Yum does everything for you, RPMs worked fine for me. It really was point and click linux for me. Only problem i had was getting my x800 to work which I never did get..cause it broke.

I gave up on it, it was too hard for me. I spent 2 days trying to get VLC to work (I did finally succeed, mostly). I moved to Gentoo because it was way easier. VLC took 10 mins.

Gentoo is one of the harder distros to install. It is by far the easiest to use, manage, upgrade, etc. once it is installed.

Fedora is easy to install. It is one of the hardest to manage, maintain, upgrade, etc. once you have it installed.

It's not really THAT hard, but it's a whole lot harder than a lot of the other installs. You must make a lot more decisions about how you want your computer to work. This leads to a customized system, but if you don't know the answers to those questions, it can be frustrating.

I got my gentoo install to work fine the first time, with basically no problems.

I don't think my mom could install it though.

The Gentoo install is reasonably painless, just time consuming. Following the guide by the letter its pretty easy to install even for a new user, apart from maybe compiling the required kernel options if they don't understand their hardware. The difficult bit for them is understanding what their actually doing.

Back