• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What is faster?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

squasher

Hey, this is my first time in this section!!!
My friend is buying a custom laptop (I know go desktop....trust me i've tried :bang head ) and he way wondering.
Which is faster 7200rpm ata or a 6200rpm sata?
I thought about it but I could not figure it out. The sata sppeds up data transfer, but if the hardrive can not get the data fast enough....
Thanks for the help!

Do you have model numbers by chance?? Usually there is little or no difference in speed between ATA or SATA. There might be more speed found in going from 6200rpm to 7200rpm though. Have you looked up the manufactor's specs? Those may help the most.

I will see if I can get them from him tommorow.
But if he can't get them we should assume that the ata 7200rmp will be faster?

squasher said:
Hey, this is my first time in this section!!!
My friend is buying a custom laptop (I know go desktop....trust me i've tried :bang head ) and he way wondering.
Which is faster 7200rpm ata or a 6200rpm sata?
I thought about it but I could not figure it out. The sata sppeds up data transfer, but if the hardrive can not get the data fast enough....
Thanks for the help!

SATA does not speed up the transfer. Any links as to why you think this? The faster spindle speed is the better option.

to clarify,

The SATA allows for more data to be transfered.

If the hard drive is not pumping out enough information to utilize the extra speed the SATA interface is capable of, it will be no different than using the drive on an IDE channel.

so get you want a drive that can pump out as much data as possible, which, until you reach the IDE cap, does not have to be an SATA drive.

Go with the faster drive, it should push out more data regardless of the interface used.

IDE drives outside of "burst mode" and "scsi drives" are barely breaking ATA66 standards. Measure with a prog like ATTO or HDTach and you'll see.

Back