• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New 1500mhz athlon xp on price watch

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Myself and I

Disabled
Its only 145 bucks and by the time the kt266a comes along i am buying one!
I am still on a old slot a mobo running at 1000mhz!
hell yeah

Its not 1500mhz slick. Its model 1500 which is 1.33ghz. The 1.53ghz named xp 1800 comes out on the 9th. It will be about $250. a few stores are taking preorders on it on pricewatch one was as high as $330. www.z-buy.com is claiming to offer the model right now but after looking at there fdbk at www.resellerratings.com i wouldnt trust them for $hiT. Just wait till the 9th or not get one at all as the 1.4ghz t-birds are under $100 right now.
Heres a link to the pricing: Athlon xp

see I knew the naming was a mistake. this is only the beginning of these naming mistakes.

el said:
see I knew the naming was a mistake. this is only the beginning of these naming mistakes.

You know what, I bet you some online store or even some idiot salesperson at Compusa is going to falsely advertise the Athlon XP 1500 as 1.5 Ghz. And when you buy it, you're getting a 1.33 Ghz CPU. I can see it already.

One of the worst things that will happen is that the ordinary TB 1400 266Mhz cpu will look very bad compared to the 1800 (1533) Palomino. People will see the difference being 400 and justify paying a whopping £100 more. The actual difference is only 133Mhz but with extra features, so say about affectively ~250Mhz.

I've only recently bought my processor. I am glad I didnt wait for the Palomino. It is too expensive and hyped up too much. It will be a good month before the desktop prices fall to anywere near the thunderbird prices.

I too think that AMD have made a mistake with the new naming. If any joe gets a clock frequency program and sees that his/her cpu is not running at 1800Mhz, they will want a refund. They will also think that AMD are lieing.

Personally, I think that AMD should play intel at their own game buy taking work done per cycle down to increase clock speed. It would be very pleasing to see AMD release a 2.5Ghz processor when Intel can only muster a 2.1-2.2Ghz one.

I think the problem is less than you make it out to be, sure there will be a couple of computer illiterat people who'll think they're getting more than they really are. But do you really think these people will know the difference? And for those of us who come here regularly I doubt if it'll make a diffference at all.

BTW Does anyone know if say a 1.5Ghz Palomino will really OC better than the 1.4 Ghz Tbirds. It seems like the 1.4 Ghz models are comparetivly poor overclockers on a percentage basis. Does anyone know if tat'll change with the new core?

Pitspawn said:
One of the worst things that will happen is that the ordinary TB 1400 266Mhz cpu will look very bad compared to the 1800 (1533) Palomino. People will see the difference being 400 and justify paying a whopping £100 more. The actual difference is only 133Mhz but with extra features, so say about affectively ~250Mhz.

I've only recently bought my processor. I am glad I didnt wait for the Palomino. It is too expensive and hyped up too much. It will be a good month before the desktop prices fall to anywere near the thunderbird prices.

I too think that AMD have made a mistake with the new naming. If any joe gets a clock frequency program and sees that his/her cpu is not running at 1800Mhz, they will want a refund. They will also think that AMD are lieing.

Personally, I think that AMD should play intel at their own game buy taking work done per cycle down to increase clock speed. It
would be very pleasing to see AMD release a 2.5Ghz processor when Intel can only muster a 2.1-2.2Ghz one.

In response to that statement - that is the reason that we dont buy Intel they just up mhz even thought the proc is crappy, why do u want AMD to do the same. It defies what AMD does

Well the real problem AMD has is that Intel is showing off a super cooled machine running the northwood at 3.5ghz so I think AMD is the one who is a little bit scared! don't get me wrong I am die hard AMD but 3.5 in the next 6months with a vaporchill if the chip cost less than 400 I am going to buy one!!!

>> I am still on a old slot a mobo running at 1000mhz <<

Still? Oh well then you better upgrade quick, cuz you should've replaced that old dinosaur years ago.</sarcasm>

What's the point of buying a new cpu if you already got 1 ghz? A 500 mhz cpu should be able to run pretty much anything.

Itchie said:
>> I am still on a old slot a mobo running at 1000mhz <<

Still? Oh well then you better upgrade quick, cuz you should've replaced that old dinosaur years ago.</sarcasm>

What's the point of buying a new cpu if you already got 1 ghz? A 500 mhz cpu should be able to run pretty much anything.

one would think....

i do folding, and i do divx ripping. folding takes some time (but never really ends, so it doesnt count).

but ripping divx, that takes time. i use FU (no debates about it in here please :)), and it takes about 20+ hours to complete. i have an 800 running FAST. i would like to get that down to 8 hours. 8 is pretty much as low as i want it. i dont care about 3 or 4 hours, 8 is fine for me. when i sleep, im not doing anything anyway.

so, if i could get it down to 8, that would be awesome! but, my friend has a comparable system to mine, with a 1.2GHZ tbird, and he only gets about 15 hours.... maybe a 1.8 would do it in 8 hours. maybe a 2ghz.

speed is sometimes necessary. but there are still those people that want over 400fps in quake3, and want m$ word to load in .4 seconds instead of .53.

but for people that do really processor intensive stuff, speed is key.

Vapochill just did a show to show off the fastest computer in the world. They have not shown any details on it but imsure it will have something to do with a northwood which by the way looks very good. AMD is in a real problem right now. I think the Athlon XP is a bad move as its just kind of thrwon out there. Regardless if intel just pumps up megahertz its gonna work and this whole confusion deal with the XP has and will throw away not only resellers but consumers.

Back