• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My X800 XTPE is dead....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Nebulous

Dreadnought Class Senior
Along with maybe my cpu and board :rolleyes: I have no clue what happend but here are the specs 1st:

P4C800 Deluxe
3.2E @ 4.35Ghz
1GB kit mushy BH-5
2x120GB hdd's raided
Gigabyte X800 XTPE
Fortron 530w
winxp pro

The cpu is mach1 cooled and the video card is water cooled with:
MCW50
Eheim 1250
Bix clone rad

I leave my rigs runnin 24/7 unless i'm on a trip or something then i shut them off. Anyways I'm redoing my bedroom and decide to take a break. I move the mouse to get my LCD out of standby mode ( like I normally do) and nothing comes up on the screen :eh?: . I hit the spacebar on the keyboard and again nothing, but the pc is runnin. Mach1 temps idle @ -41c and cpu temp last checked was -22c. I hit the reset button to reboot and all i got was the rom lites and that was it. I take the side panel off and put my hand on the pump and I don't feel any vibrations. Now the horror sets in, my xtpe is fried!! :eek: Ok, i shut evrything off. I ask for advice and some guyz suggested i may have moisture under the prommy head to check. I remove the cooling head and inspect, it's bone dry. Ok I clean off the thermal goop, apply some fresh stuff and along with some sfresh seal string I remount. I get a pos 32mb video card to test. I fire up the mach 1 wait till i get to -33c and hit the power button.....nothing. I'm like wtf?? Ok try again....still nothing. No fans, no beeps...absolutely nothing. All i get is the green power LED on the board and that's it. I test psu, ram, hdd's and those check ok. So now i have a dead X800 XTPE, and possibly a dead cpu and mobo. Can someone tell me wtf happend to me?? i can't understand why my mobo and cpu would go dead like that. I knew once the pump was dead my video card was toast, but my cpu and mobo too?? What the hell?! :shrug:

Sorry to hear that about the X800 ! RIP! Maybe have a someone like ViperJohn check it out first. You know - might be fixable...
For some reason I doubt that the CPU is gone - the motherboard would make at least some sense ( somehow via the AGP port ).
Did you already reset the Bios?
First think you need to do after a bad crash - at least in my case that's what brought my mobo/cpu back to live a few years back when a Nvidia cards went out on me...

Thx mike, yeah i did evrything: reset bios, reseat cpu, check all my connections. All i get is the dreaded eye of " lites are on but noone's home" from the mobo :cry:

Dang - was hoping you didn't do the reset yet. Do you happen to have a PCI videocard - I would try this the next. Maybe the Agp port got messed up.

I hate it when stuff dont work :/

The other day my PC didnt wana boot... it pulled all the wires out, reseated the CPU & pulled the GPU in then out. Plugged it all back in, crossed my fingers and the beaut fired up.

~t0m

Have you tried that card in another mobo yet Neb? Hopefully it was your mobo that went and not your GPU. You never know that WB could of absorbed enough heat to keep your card alive still. Plus sometimes with the natural convection of the heated water you can get a small amount of flow.

I personally think that your card is still alive.

You have my condolences, I can't help but feel a pinch in my heart every time someone looses a piece of hardware as I remember my AMD 1800 that gave his life a year ago.
That was the first piece of hardware that died on me.

Nebulous said:
I tried it with a pos 32mb agp card and a pci card, still nothing.
Well - guess now it's time to find a friend who has a motherboard where you can try out both your agp and CPU - can't you try it on the system you are using now?

Good luck!

Thanx guyz. Well it's official, my beloved xtpe is dead :cry: i tried it another pc and all I got was a black screen. Waiting on gigabyte to respond to my email for my RMA.

Dang, why did it have to be your most valuable parts? :cry: Well, I don't mean to make it worse but this is one of the reasons why I don't do extreme overclocking. Doesn't overclocking your CPU overclock your whole system which in exchange can fry all your components?

if your pump crapped out on you why ask gigabyte for a rma? they didnt make a bad card from the sound of it your pump crapped out on you and caused the death of the card.

have you tested the pump to see if its working or wtf is up with it and why it wasnt running when you noticed your pc wasnt responding correctly?

if everythign was workign fine and the card crapped out that would be one thing but if the pump for your water loop craps out i dont see how that problem should be tossed into gigabytes lap.

hawtrawkr said:
if your pump crapped out on you why ask gigabyte for a rma? they didnt make a bad card from the sound of it your pump crapped out on you and caused the death of the card.

have you tested the pump to see if its working or wtf is up with it and why it wasnt running when you noticed your pc wasnt responding correctly?

if everythign was workign fine and the card crapped out that would be one thing but if the pump for your water loop craps out i dont see how that problem should be tossed into gigabytes lap.

Yeah it was working correctly until the pump failed causing the death of the video card. Why drop it on gigabyte's lap? Because I paid for it that's why. I paid for the extended warranty :rolleyes: .

Thanx SSS. Hopefully I'll be able to rebuild the main.

Nebulous said:
Yeah it was working correctly until the pump failed causing the death of the video card. Why drop it on gigabyte's lap? Because I paid for it that's why. I paid for the extended warranty :rolleyes: .

Thanx SSS. Hopefully I'll be able to rebuild the main.

their extended warranty covers user error? ill have to start getting gigabyte cards from now on then i wont feel so bad to throw DI on them if theyll just replace it if it dies. :thup:

LOL, how do you figure "user error"? I can understand if i deliberately pulled the plug on my waterpump and just sat there with the plug in my hand and watched as my $500 piece of hardware just sizzle away.

In any event the warranty covers "failures" , and that's what I'm doing; getting a replacement becasue it failed :cool:

The same thing happend to my x800xt water cooler pump just sundly died, walked out my room to get a drink come back and my system is beeping look at all the temps and the gcard is at 66c idle, and found out my pump had no watergoing through. put some water in and it still dont work. Good thing was the card worked Bad thing was it had artifacts everyware and it froze every 5 seconds.

and to the rma a graphics card beccause a WATER PUMP failed is kinda silly inless your warranty covers your whole pc, the pump failed not the card

Nebulous said:
LOL, how do you figure "user error"? I can understand if i deliberately pulled the plug on my waterpump and just sat there with the plug in my hand and watched as my $500 piece of hardware just sizzle away.

In any event the warranty covers "failures" , and that's what I'm doing; getting a replacement becasue it failed :cool:

its user error to not add a second pump to help protect against things like this for one. for two its not really gigabytes fault as i dont think they shipped the card out with a waterblock and sadly the card most likely wouldnt be dead right now had you not put one on. with the stock hsf that the card shipped with it would probably be alive and well today. maybe its just me but when you "augment" a card with better cooling and your better cooling kills the card the manufacturer of the said card isnt in any way responsible for the cards death the user is. i really am not trying to seem rude about this but rma is for things that break under normal operating circumstances and not when you do something to directly cause its failure outside of those parameters.

in the end it comes down to reason and responsibilty im not going to sit here and argue with you about either as im sure your aware of both words definitions.

if youd like you can do a search on the forums and see that im not alone in thinking this is a unpopular decision as most people here know when theyve broken something and just pull out thier pocketbooks to make things right. i mean under your theory i should be able to buy a gigabyte card vmod it to hell push it and when it craps out have them send me a new one and do it again and again and again..... i mean hell if it "failes" its thier problem. if anything you should give the pump manufacturer a call.

sorry again if im coming off like an arse truly not my intention but this is obvioulsy not a defect in gigabytes manufacturing process or any fault of thiers

Call ATI they'll repair it for $90 bucks flat - just make sure you don't tell 'em about overclocking - they try to be testy with that stuff - make up a story why it happened

man don't give up on that x800 xtpe yet. samething had happened to me. It's not your video card nor your cpu nor anythng else. its your motherboard trust me. I run a mach 1 on my other system, and i thought it was my video card and all, but i had a spare system to check everything on. and everything was okey except for the motherboard. when you don't apply the die electric grease around the cpu area and cpu when using mach i the frost on the mach 1 head melted and the water got down to the socket You have to complete wait about couple of hours before removing the head after turn it off. just besure to apply die electric grease around the cpu are next time. just get yourself a new motherboard or RMA and you should be fine.

Back