• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is my problem my mem controller?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

stang8118

Well atm i am running my setup 300x9. I am stuck using the 150 divider on my memory because i can't boot into windows with the 166 divider. It passes memtest no problem with the 166 divider (250mhz ram speed), but i can not boot into windows.

If i drop the divider to 150 (225mhz) i can boot into windows and pass prime overnight with all the exact same settings, just differant divider.

Does this mean my memory controller can't handle 250mhz?? My entire setup is in my sig.

Have you tested different modules? Tried different mem slots? Tried another BIOS? Tried lower CPU specs but with mem clocked at the same speeds you're looking for? Tried to add CPU voltage?

Haven't tried another BIOS but i am using the 3/16. I tried running the cpu 1:1 @ 250htt and it still wouldn't boot. That was even with 1.65v going threw the CPU and 3.3v going threw my ram.

stang8118 said:
Haven't tried another BIOS but i am using the 3/16. I tried running the cpu 1:1 @ 250htt and it still wouldn't boot. That was even with 1.65v going threw the CPU and 3.3v going threw my ram.

How do you know the memory can handle 250HTT then?

Put them in the yellow slots, and try BIOS 5/10-2 and see if that does anything.

I will try the 5/10 BIOS... but what would switching the slots do? Isn't it better to use the orange ones? I will try it though... i just hope my xp90 can still keep them cool enough being a bit further away

stang8118 said:
I will try the 5/10 BIOS... but what would switching the slots do? Isn't it better to use the orange ones? I will try it though... i just hope my xp90 can still keep them cool enough being a bit further away

Been some reports that Yellow slots are better for high voltage modules. Make sure to use 5/10-2. You can flash with Winflash 1.76, takes all of a minute.

Sucka said:
Been some reports that Yellow slots are better for high voltage modules. Make sure to use 5/10-2. You can flash with Winflash 1.76, takes all of a minute.

Ok i am gonna go flash it tonight, then switch to the yellow slots. If they have problems can i still use the orange slots as well with that bios?

stang8118 said:
Ok i am gonna go flash it tonight, then switch to the yellow slots. If they have problems can i still use the orange slots as well with that bios?

Yeah, as a matter of fact i would test with the new BIOS in the orange, and then test in yellow after.

I still don't see how you've ruled memory as the problem out. Run a 7x250 with ldt 3x and see if you still have the problem.

I think i am gonna try the new BIOS either way Sucka. Thanks alot for the pointers! I know a Venice can handle 250mhz ram, there is definatly something wrong on my end.... Hopefully the newer BIOS will fix it.

stang8118 said:
I think i am gonna try the new BIOS either way Sucka. Thanks alot for the pointers! I know a Venice can handle 250mhz ram, there is definatly something wrong on my end.... Hopefully the newer BIOS will fix it.

No problem, if you have any problems you know where to find me :p

I'm managed to figure these boards out pretty well with both TCCD and UTT, so don't hesitate to ask :)

ok updated to the bios you recommended. Still have the same problem. Even passed test 5 17x's. I tried setting my htt to 245 with the 7 and 8x multi, they did the same as the 9x multi.

stang8118 said:
ok updated to the bios you recommended. Still have the same problem. Even passed test 5 17x's. I tried setting my htt to 245 with the 7 and 8x multi, they did the same as the 9x multi.

Did you try 3x ldt, try upping ldt voltage and NB voltage? Anyway you can test with other sets of memory? Controller shouldn't be crapping out at 300HTT, gotta be something else.

Yeah i have been on 3x LDT. I will try to up the voltage.

Unfortantly this is the only set of ram that i have.

ok even dropped the LDT to 2.5x, maxxed out the LDT voltage and t he chipset voltage and still nothing. lol this is starting to get me mad :p

stang8118 said:
ok even dropped the LDT to 2.5x, maxxed out the LDT voltage and t he chipset voltage and still nothing. lol this is starting to get me mad :p

Are you getting errors on test 6 memtest? That ussually means something is up with the memory controller. Almost sounds like you've gotten a dud or you're missing something simple. I wouldn't rule the memory out yet. See if you can run it in 2t at your desiered settings, that would almost surely rule out memory...

ok i'll see what i can do... i'll check test 6 too.

EDIT: Ran it at 2T and same thing. Passed test 6 also.

Last edited:
Well as Ccuabide said 3.5v fixed it. Running super pi 32m so far and it has not crashed or anything. (btw next time i won't PM you how i fixed it ccuabide, next time i'll post first!) lol

Thanks a bunch Sucka for your help. Digits Thanks for your help too on aim, i was dumb for not trying more voltage :p

Back