• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ath-a500

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

cooper15

this really isnt have anything to do qwith somehting wrong with these headphones. except that these are the best ive ever seen if you can spend $100 get THESE theyll blow you away

cooper15 said:
this really isnt have anything to do qwith somehting wrong with these headphones. except that these are the best ive ever seen if you can spend $100 get THESE theyll blow you away
that's awesome! I want the ATH-A900's, but don't have the money right now. This just further reassured me that I will be purchasing nice 'phones :)

Do you have yours amped by any chance?

dunno what that is :shrug: but if it makes it better then sign me up. but if these headphones are untouched they are still awesome

cooper15 said:
dunno what that is :shrug: but if it makes it better then sign me up. but if these headphones are untouched they are still awesome
http://www.audiocubes.com/category/...duct/Audio-Technica_AT-HA2_Headphone_Amp.html

IMO, it really helps the bottom end (BASS) :) I personally use a CMOY that cost about $15 to build. It even makes my current $20 headphones (ATH-M2X) sound good :)

This is like mine http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=40138&item=5776012910&rd=1

Couple suggestions to make it even better, replace that SB Live with a Chaintech AV710, and get an amp for it. I currently use a Pimeta as my main amp, but I hope to change that soon. Good choice on your headphones, they are really nice.

thanks cetoole but guess what made me make my decision...your guide :santa: btw VERY NICE guide!...and imo those amp things are a waste of money :shrug: just because you want some more bass you gotta shell out$20. yes this isnt much but its still something. oh and im getting some logitech x-530 speakers on tuesday so then ill really hear these babies shine :santa:

An amp is not for just bass, with my amp, there is much more detail, and weak sources like the AV710, which are not meant to directly drive headphones are able to provide sufficient power to the headphones. The reason that people tend to notice more bass, besides some amps having a response curve that enhances the bass is because the headphones are given the power that they need to reproduce the signal better, which often appears most noticably as better bass. Also, when the source is not powerful enough to drive the headphones properly, clipping can occur, and the use of an amp makes a huge difference. It is just something you might want to consider down the road. Glad the FAQ helped, and I am glad you like your new cans.

Yep, what cetoole said. :D

I also have an AV710, which I use the high sample 2 channel mode to only play music on. Then I have my cmoy connected to that, and finally my HD-280s. Amazon has a deal going on, $180 for refurbed HD-600s. Just to give you an idea, my 280s are 64 ohms, the 600s are 300 ohms. Mostly anything can power mine, whereas almost nothing but an actual headphone amp will be able to power the 600s.

SavageBasher said:
Yep, what cetoole said. :D

I also have an AV710, which I use the high sample 2 channel mode to only play music on. Then I have my cmoy connected to that, and finally my HD-280s. Amazon has a deal going on, $180 for refurbed HD-600s. Just to give you an idea, my 280s are 64 ohms, the 600s are 300 ohms. Mostly anything can power mine, whereas almost nothing but an actual headphone amp will be able to power the 600s.
That is right, I use HD580 (300 ohm, basically the exact same thing as HD600 electrically) for my home headphones, and without a dedicated headphone amp, including the simple CMoy, none of the soundcards I have tried are able to drive it correctly (AV710, Yamaha DP-U50). The AV710 is a very nice soundcard, well worth the $25 shipped. SavageBasher, is the AV710 able to drive your HD280? I havn't found any headphones I have that don't clip directly out of it, but I would not be suprised if my ER6i are fine (its been a week, where are they).

I haven't tested, but I don't see why it shouldn't. My crappy cd/mp3 player can power them just fine at 2/3 volume, with no clipping and full bass, but then again these are extremely easy to move, being only 64 ohms, and having a closed/sealed design.

I might also add, for my cmoy it is completely stock with a panasonic 50k pot. I just keep the volume maxed on the AV710, and adjust with the pot. Powering my cmoy is just a 6v NiMH battery, which I recharge every 3-4 weeks (I listen to music for 3-4 hours a day, up to 12 on the weekends), and I never turn the pot past halfway, ever, if that means anything to ya. :cool:

cetoole said:
An amp is not for just bass, with my amp, there is much more detail, and weak sources like the AV710, which are not meant to directly drive headphones are able to provide sufficient power to the headphones. The reason that people tend to notice more bass, besides some amps having a response curve that enhances the bass is because the headphones are given the power that they need to reproduce the signal better, which often appears most noticably as better bass. Also, when the source is not powerful enough to drive the headphones properly, clipping can occur, and the use of an amp makes a huge difference. It is just something you might want to consider down the road. Glad the FAQ helped, and I am glad you like your new cans.
Again, what cetoole said. The amp takes the load off the AV710's amp which keeps distortion to a minimum. The overall sound quality will go up, but I'd have to say the bass is where the most improvement occurs, since that's what requires the most power.

SavageBasher said:
I haven't tested, but I don't see why it shouldn't. My crappy cd/mp3 player can power them just fine at 2/3 volume, with no clipping and full bass, but then again these are extremely easy to move, being only 64 ohms, and having a closed/sealed design.

I might also add, for my cmoy it is completely stock with a panasonic 50k pot. I just keep the volume maxed on the AV710, and adjust with the pot. Powering my cmoy is just a 6v NiMH battery, which I recharge every 3-4 weeks (I listen to music for 3-4 hours a day, up to 12 on the weekends), and I never turn the pot past halfway, ever, if that means anything to ya. :cool:
no pot on my cmoy, so I just keep the volume turned down on my PC. I no longer use a 9v... I decided to just a wallwart which seems to work fine :)

I would like to convert mine to a walwart, but I'd build a nice cap array for it. :D I really don't want the 60hz voltage variation touching my cmoy. :p

SavageBasher said:
I would like to convert mine to a walwart, but I'd build a nice cap array for it. :D I really don't want the 60hz voltage variation touching my cmoy. :p
understandable. I can't hear any hum myself... It's as quiet as can be. I've got 2x3300uf caps on mine + TLE2426 rail splitter, so that might also help. Even if there were hum, it probably wouldn't matter since my source & 'phones suck. lol.

Back