• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

what Video card to run on SLI mode

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BokiOverclocker

I was wondering what is good card set up for a SLI mode?

I was looking like to have PCI-e with 256mb and gddr3.
Or is 128 mb still good?
Is it worth to go SLI?
looking for $300, $400, $500 set up for two cards

thanks

With a max of 500$ for two cards, you are looking at the 6600GT Models, which usually have 128MB. You may find them with 256 but i'm not sure if they would stay below 500 then.

Is it wort it? IMO, no. For 450$ you can get a 6800GT and overclock it a nice tad, then save some money and be able to add another one down the road.

Sjaak said:
With a max of 500$ for two cards, you are looking at the 6600GT Models, which usually have 128MB. You may find them with 256 but i'm not sure if they would stay below 500 then.

Is it wort it? IMO, no. For 450$ you can get a 6800GT and overclock it a nice tad, then save some money and be able to add another one down the road.

450$ for a 6800GT?! they cost around 330-360 at newegg

Lol sorry, i hadn't checked in awhile. They're quite expensive here (euro's) and since the dollar is still rock bottom i made a rough conversion.

Still, that makes them even more attractive. Plus a single 6800 is about the performance of dual 6600's.

Sjaak said:
Lol sorry, i hadn't checked in awhile. They're quite expensive here (euro's) and since the dollar is still rock bottom i made a rough conversion.

Still, that makes them even more attractive. Plus a single 6800 is about the performance of dual 6600's.

Two 6600gt cards are about equal to one 6800ultra. Two 6600gt cards will kill a plain jane 6800.

reddywing1 said:
Two 6600gt cards are about equal to one 6800ultra. Two 6600gt cards will kill a plain jane 6800.

But not a 6800GT. If you want to be able to upgrade down the road, get the 6800.

Sjaak said:
But not a 6800GT. If you want to be able to upgrade down the road, get the 6800.

Yes, a 6800gt also will be beat by dual 6600gts. I do agree though that the best choice is to leave the upgrade path open with a 6800 gt or ultra.

SLI is not worth it unless you have 6800s or higher. Your better off getting a single 6800 or higher now and getting a second later on. Not all games support SLI yet so in this case you will be left with the rendering power of just one card. You can play with the profiles, but that is not always going to work. If you can afford a pair of 6600GTs then your better off taking that money and getting a single 6800GT.

Enigma422 said:
SLI is not worth it unless you have 6800s or higher. Your better off getting a single 6800 or higher now and getting a second later on. Not all games support SLI yet so in this case you will be left with the rendering power of just one card. You can play with the profiles, but that is not always going to work. If you can afford a pair of 6600GTs then your better off taking that money and getting a single 6800GT.

I agree with almost everything you say. If you have a $500.00 budget I would not recommend buying two 6600gts either. That just closes off your upgrade path. The part I disagree with is "SLI is not worth it unless you have 6800s or higher". Two 6600gts perform better than a 6800 Ultra for less money. That is hardly a waste. It is true that not all games are optimized for SLI right now but that is only going to get better with time. I think the bottom line should be figure out your budget for video cards now and in the foreseeable futrue. Then act accordingly.

Back