• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Gentoo GUI installer release date?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

qwertyuiop

Does anyone know when the GUI installer is going to be released for Gentoo. I really want to give it another try but I decided I will wait for the GUI installer because I am not exactly at home in a command line.

last i checked the faq said it was going to be released when they feel like it...in other words don't hold your breath

Just print out the installation manual and then after you've highlighted the key command lines you can give it a go. I did a debian install using text based command line installer and it wasn't really that bad. In fact you come away knowing a lot more about your operating system and that is always a good thing.

Windows allows you to check the advanced tab when installing XP but you don't really have all that much control of what gets installed and turned on. Before an XP install, I unplug the LAN cable. Right after an XP install I install XP-Antispy and Zone Alarm Pro before that LAN cable gets plugged back in ;)

the easist way i've found to install gentoo is to use the x86 quick install guide, and use the full guide if you need some questions about a command in the quick install. It seems that most people go on overload when they see the 100 some page manual and all it does is give you every option, where as the quick install guide is about 4 pages and hits the highlights of the install.

depends on your comp and how many times you have done it before. The first time it took me a week to get it all working, now I can do it in 8 hours (on my rig thats in my sig) (3 installs so far). It is worth it though you learn a lot in a really short time. And to your graphical installer they already have one its called knoppix :) Check in the alternate installation guide for the specific knoppix steps not much different but graphical :)

The Gentoo install really isn't that hard, 90% of the time is just spent waiting. The documentation on the Gentoo site is very straightforward and easy to follow. After a couple of Gentoo installs you'll be able to remember what to do without even using the guide. Even if there was a graphical installer I'd still recommend doing a manual install, you learn a lot more about your system that way.

Yes, as a first user of gentoo a while back I did a stage 1 install manually and that was how I learned a lot of linux... I didn't even know any commands...

Manually installing Gentoo was like a crash course into understanding CLI in Linux

It was supose to come out in 2005.0

We all saw that didn't happen.

I don't need a GUI installer, and I don't think Id want one at this point.

It might be nice for some stuff, but the CLI is faster and more effectivte at this point.

As Fishy said, it was supposed to come out in 2005.0. I posted a thread when it came out and then I tried it. It had an improved look for the framebuffer console, but still didn't have a graphical installer.
As for the handbook, I like having it open on a computer behind the one I'm installing on. If I need to refer to somewhere else besides the handbook, I just turn ahead and find where I need to go. It's easier for me.

electrorcamd said:
As Fishy said, it was supposed to come out in 2005.0. I posted a thread when it came out and then I tried it. It had an improved look for the framebuffer console, but still didn't have a graphical installer.
As for the handbook, I like having it open on a computer behind the one I'm installing on. If I need to refer to somewhere else besides the handbook, I just turn ahead and find where I need to go. It's easier for me.

I just install via Knoppix.

That way I can surf the web for issues with out having to get up.

Plus it helps kill the time. No one likes to stare at a CLI for 6 hours.

I use Knoppix for installing too, it's better than any graphical installer could be because you still have a fully functioning machine while you install and wait for compiling.

qwertyuiop said:
Does anyone know when the GUI installer is going to be released for Gentoo. I really want to give it another try but I decided I will wait for the GUI installer because I am not exactly at home in a command line.
One of the great things about the gentoo install is that it helps you get more comfortable with the command line.

i might try insatlling gentoo sometime. but right now i'm satisfied with archlinux. i have everything working :D this is my first linux install btw. i used SuSe before but it sucked because i didn't learn anything. with archlinux i at least learned something. my friend uses gentoo and he loves it. if i get tired of archlinux, gentoo is my next choice :)

Spion said:
i might try insatlling gentoo sometime. but right now i'm satisfied with archlinux. i have everything working :D this is my first linux install btw. i used SuSe before but it sucked because i didn't learn anything. with archlinux i at least learned something. my friend uses gentoo and he loves it. if i get tired of archlinux, gentoo is my next choice :)

Yep I use arch as well and I love it!
I did install gentoo a few times and I learned a whole lot. Its satisfying to get a working linux install from command line only. I learned a lot from arch as well because it also forces you to configure everything yourself.

Installing Gentoo taught me a ton about how linux works and how to work linux. Unfortunately, I never did get that install working... maybe Gentoo just isn't meant for a 100 MHz computer with minimal RAM... :D

Back