• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

things needed for tv>computer and vice versa

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sup3rcarrx8

Hi guys. I was wondering what I need to buy to make my computer image able to show up on my TV and vice versa. Is it going to cost a lot of money and also what jacks are needed on my TV (it's a 13" tv)? Thanks!

If you like ATI line of cards - any of the VIVO models should do the trick - certainly the All in WOnder models have added features like TV tuner etc.

Nearly all modern video cards have TV out, you only need new hardware if you want TV in. Look on your card, there should be 3 outputs, Analog, DVI and S-Video. Many tv's have s-video input, if yours doesnt, your card likely came with an s-video to composite adapter. They look like this:

CBL-S-VIDEO-unit.jpg

EDIT: Btw, tv's have horrible picture quality. They run at 640x480 with scanlines, effectivly 320x240.

Your 9500 should already have TV Out capability. Of the three connectors on the card, one should be a round black one for SVideo output. If your TV dosen't have SVideo input (I can't imagine a little 13" would) then you'll need to go to Radio Shack or something to buy a converter.

To get TV in, you'd either need to buy a new video card (expensive), or buy a TV card (at least $50). There are a few reccomended brands like Hauppage, and searching the forum and google should provide a few insights. I wish I could help more with reccomendations, but I haven't really looked into any....

JigPu

TV cards are a lot cheaper than that, I got mine for $35 a few years back. Newegg should have what you are looking for, if tv input is a must.

Back