• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

A8N-SLI Deluxe bios 1008 and my 6600GT overclock?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Aurora40

I loaded up the new 1008 BIOS yesterday evening. I previously had the 1006. I configured the PEG to "faster" because that's what I used to have it set to. When I was playing some HL2:Deathmatch last night, I noticed a lot of bright colored artifacting. I chalked it up to the PEG, and set it back to normal today. But I still get it. My 6600GT runs at 600/1265, and I didn't have a problem yesterday.

I dialed it back to 600/1250 with no avail, so I may have to dial it back a lot to fix this. Anyone else have an issue like this with the new BIOS? Pretty weird... :(

600/1250 seems a little ambitious for daily use.My understanding is to Leave the PEG setting at default settings if you are overclocking the card, dunno for sure if thats correct but seems I read it somewhere. Maybe it's just heat related and the Bios change was just a coincidence? :shrug: Mine will run those speeds too. In fact the auto detect optimal frequencies feature of the coolbits enabled option suggests 601/1200 and runs great at those speeds until it gets a little hot (around 60C) I have a bottom mounted 120mm fan blowing up onto the 6600GT which is equipped with a stock copper HS and ramsinks. Mine runs most stable at around 585/1100 with the PCIE bus set to 115mhz in Bios.

You could download Bios 1010 final from Asus and these drivers from Nvidia 71.89 which address oc issue.

I have the 71.89 drivers. The 1010 bios isn't final, I'm not that interested in a beta bios. But are you saying it's a known issue (since you say these address it).

As to heat, etc, I have run my card at 600/1265 for months with no problems at all, while playing a fair bit of Half-life 2 Deathmatch. It could be coincidence, but seems unlikely.

On the 1006 I could run the PEG faster than "normal" but even at "normal" on the 1008 bios I have the artifacting problem.

Aurora40 said:
I have the 71.89 drivers. The 1010 bios isn't final, I'm not that interested in a beta bios. But are you saying it's a known issue (since you say these address it).

As to heat, etc, I have run my card at 600/1265 for months with no problems at all, while playing a fair bit of Half-life 2 Deathmatch. It could be coincidence, but seems unlikely.
On the 1006 I could run the PEG faster than "normal" but even at "normal" on the 1008 bios I have the artifacting problem.

I don't know about 1010 adressing this problem , but if not....
With a nod to swindelljd and PC Perspective Forum for providing this tip that cured the Asus PC Probe not working after updating to 1008 bios.
Try flashing your favorite bios (not 1008!) using the /CP /CD switches after the bios filename at the A:prompt IE: Awdflash 1006.bin /CP /CD <enter>.
The /CP /CD switches clear ESCD and the DMI and make your BIOS forget anything that it thinks it knows about your hardware. (at least thats what I think- and I'm too lazy to look it up right now)

Complete (I hope) Instructions
I apologize for being so detailed in these instructions, I'm sure you know how to flash from a floppy, but for the benefit of others who may not...
Assuming Windows XP is the OS.
Make a Dos boot floppy by inserting a 3.5" floppy / right click on the A drive icon in my computer/ select Format/ then select "Create an MS-DOS startup disk". Download AWDFLASH and the zipped bios update file from Asus and extract them to the Startup Disk in the A Drive.
BTW did you know if you type A : Drive without the spaces you get this ; A:Drive
Make sure you note all of your favorite Memory timings and other favorite Bios settings, then press F5 in the bios setup screen to reset to defaults, or at least set the CPU speed and HTT and CPU multiplier to Auto.
Save settings and exit Bios Setup. Boot from the Floppy disk you made. At the A: Prompt if you don't know the name of the Bios file you extracted, type DIR and look for a file with a BIN extension or named the same as the file you downloaded. Lets say the file name is 1009-002.bin. You would type AWDFLASH 1009-002.bin /cp /cd then hit enter. It start the Flash program and the prompt will say enter bios file name , since you already told it the name in the command, you don't need to type it again. Wait then it asks if you want to save the BIOS. Either say no, because there probably won't be enough space on the floppy for a copy of the currently loaded BIOS, or if you want to save it have another formatted floppy handy to save to. I just say NO- cause I already got the old one on another boot-able floppy for safety. So the BIOS update begins when you answer yes to the Update BIOS? prompt- when complete, remove the floppy and go into bios and adjust the settings as you like.
With a little luck this may just get your 6600GT back to performing like it's old self!

The 1011 bios seems to have fixed this issue I was having. I haven't jacked my timings back up, but I was still getting some purple artifacting at 600/1250 which is what it's set at now. I guess I'll probably just leave it here instead of pushing it back to 1265 as it's not like there's a big difference.

Back