• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

questions about some socket 775 mobos

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

pik4chu

Senior Yellow Forum Rat
Well guess Ive put it in the wrong section so I'll fix it up with some specifics and post it here.

What I'm looking for is a socket 775 that supports botting to USB devices (being selectable in the BIOS for boot priority and such)

Ive been looking at a few boards.

One is the Asus AS8 per a suggestion from fishy in my orginal original thread but I havent found any conclussive info about the BIOS settings. So does this one support it?

Another board was the Gigabyte GA-8IP775-G http://www.newegg.com/OldVersion/app/viewproductdesc.asp?description=13-128-280&DEPA=0 *edit* just noticed two things, 1. this seems to support booting to USB (manual finally downloaded after 6 retries -_-) and 2 it uses a 24pin ATX connector. Would this still run ok with a 20pin? because ive actually seen 20pins plugged into that slot with the last 4 empty and comp ran fine or do I need to pick up an adapter for them after all? :-\
*edit2* because in the manual it says "Please remove the sticker on the motherboard before plugging in while the ATX power supplier is
24pins; Otherwise, please do not remove it." This makes me think both will work as long as I have the proper power to run the board, any thoughts?

Ruled out, SiS chipset = bad hehanother is the GIGABYTE GA-8S661FXM

Overclocking is not a priority, would be nice for minor overclock but far from a need. My intentions are to make a headless system using a thumbdrive linux distro to run FAH in an upcoming prject.

I would very much prefer to stay as far below 100$ USD per board as possible. Boards willl be holding P4 530J (3.0G) with 512MB of ram (likely as a single stick) So the help is much appreciated because ive been downloading manual after manual for each board I find but nothing gives detailed enough info for what I need to know. Thanks again!

Last edited:
Back