• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD Sempron 3000+ socket 462 any good?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

High all

Just wondering what that chip is like - and if there is any significant perf increase with that cpu from my current AMD Barton 2600.

Thing is, next year is my big upgrade time, but I have been treating myself over the past month or so and cant seem to stop doing it lol, what with a new motherboard - graphics card, and I am thinking while I go and get my new monitor in the next 2 hours, whether or not I should treet myself -AGAIN- and get the highest CPU for my current socket - which is of course the Sempron 3000+

So is the perf increase worth it??

The mghz increase will only be around 300-400 even with an OC..

I have my current barton 2600 at 2.3gig, so I am thinking I can take the sempron 3000+ to like 2.6 maybe 2.7 or 2.8 if I am lucky..

Do you think it's worth it?

imo no, its still a Barton, i don't see how its any different from a Athlon XP 3000+

KEEP THE BARTON. It operates 100 MHz faster and has 512kb L2 cache compared the the semprons 128kb L2 cache! The only bonus for the sempron is that it runs at 400 MHz FSB compared to the Barton's 333 MHz. You can probably OC the Barton to be close to 400 anyway, but I don't know how well the semprons OC.

hey there i have the 3000+ sempron with the barton core with 512 and the max i hit on my 3000 befor i blew my mobo was 2.5 @1.7vso itis i good cpu right now im running at 2250 and it does realy well i get a 9400 score on sandra at this speed and just over 10,000 and some at 2.5GHz so i will let i decide i useed to have a 2600 sempron which was not that goood then i got this and wow big improvement i think u will notice a big inprovement if u switch

jjv687 said:
KEEP THE BARTON. It operates 100 MHz faster and has 512kb L2 cache compared the the semprons 128kb L2 cache! The only bonus for the sempron is that it runs at 400 MHz FSB compared to the Barton's 333 MHz. You can probably OC the Barton to be close to 400 anyway, but I don't know how well the semprons OC.

the Sempron is a Barton and it also has 512kb of L2.

007 said:
High all

Just wondering what that chip is like - and if there is any significant perf increase with that cpu from my current AMD Barton 2600.

Thing is, next year is my big upgrade time, but I have been treating myself over the past month or so and cant seem to stop doing it lol, what with a new motherboard - graphics card, and I am thinking while I go and get my new monitor in the next 2 hours, whether or not I should treet myself -AGAIN- and get the highest CPU for my current socket - which is of course the Sempron 3000+

So is the perf increase worth it??

The mghz increase will only be around 300-400 even with an OC..

I have my current barton 2600 at 2.3gig, so I am thinking I can take the sempron 3000+ to like 2.6 maybe 2.7 or 2.8 if I am lucky..

Do you think it's worth it?

I wouldn't hope that much, 007. The chances of getting that high of an overclock on a purposely low end processor are extremely low. I think you're already good to go on what you have. It isn't worth the money, because you'll probably either get a 100 mhz more and thats it, or you won't even make it that far, having spent a good chunk of money.

Drec said:
the Sempron is a Barton and it also has 512kb of L2.
He didn't say what Sempron he's gonna get.. What sempron are you gonna get 007? I just looked at a 3000+ Sempron from newegg and it was 100 MHz slower than the 2600+ Barton that newegg had and had the Palemaro? core with 128kb cache.

I decided against it anyways - I am going to keep saving till just after christmas now, and then go all out for the dual core cpu - new mobo - again, and a pci-e graphics card and so on..

I think for now I will get by on what I have...

I just bought the new mobo and a new monitor and the 6600GT.. so it will have to do for the rest of the year..

Interestingly enough, I just got the ThernalTake Silent Boost CPU cooler setup, and its brought my temps down a good bit from what they were under my Sibak cooler setup..
So maybe I can go a little more on the OC of my 2600 Barton now..

Thanks for advice anyways people, glad I took it really now :)

Back