• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

RAID 0 Question - can you simply add another HDD?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tom Bowler

Registered
So I have a single 160GB Seagate Barracuda, and I was interested in trying out a RAID 0 configuration by buying another one. I am curious as to how I will be able to set it up, though. Will I have to reinstall the OS and everything else again? How will it start striping the data between the two HDD's? I'm unsure of how to set it up.

Thanks

You will have to reinstall everything. In order to do it you will have to plug both your drives into your Raid controller, then set up the array, in the controller, then install windows.

cooter said:
You will have to reinstall everything. In order to do it you will have to plug both your drives into your Raid controller, then set up the array, in the controller, then install windows.

cooter is exactly right. I should also add that when you go to install windows you will need to press F6 and have a floppy disk ready with the RAID drivers for you controller.

Is it possible to back-up my current HDD with Ghost, reformat it, configure the RAID 0 with another hard drive and boot from the Ghost disc? Or is there something that prohibits me from doing this... maybe I would have to install the OS all over and start again?

Thank you

Yes that should be possible, providing

1) you have somewhere to ghost your current setup to

2) that ghost plays nice with your RAID controller/configuration. I haven't personally used Ghost myself, but I have heard of some having problems and have also heard of others using it fine.

Will this be onboard RAID or do you have a controller card? Do you know what RAID controller you have? (This will hopefully help others advise you as to how ghost would work out for you).

DVD's should work as a destination for my Ghost image right?

And I believe this will be onboard RAID; it is on my motherboard, I don't have a separate card or anything.

Tom,

I found a useful discussion on the very thing you attempting to do. Read the section on "SATAOS Setup." part way down from the beginning of the discussion. The technique assumes you have a second controller. I haven't tried the technique yet since I'm waiting for another case to come in before I attempt it.

Link: http://www.techsupportforum.com/archive/index.php/t-9888.html

Tom Bowler said:
Is it possible to back-up my current HDD with Ghost, reformat it, configure the RAID 0 with another hard drive and boot from the Ghost disc? Or is there something that prohibits me from doing this... maybe I would have to install the OS all over and start again?

Thank you

Back