• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ATI Cat's 5.6's OUT

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
This will have to be on my list for things to do tonight...... I want to see if all the hype for these drivers are accurate.

yeah I got 80 more 3dmarks. They have seemed to add more flexibility to the drivers when it comes to the second display, I found before I couldn't get movies to stretch to fit the full screen before, now I can

Well i have been Playing Some Counter Strike source and where i was getting 30FPS i now getting 45!

But im going to bench all the 3d marks at stock settings will give you an update soon!

Screw the synthetic benching crap, I want someone to bench modern gpu limited games at high detail like Doom3, Farcry, Hl2. I dont want any timedemo benches, I want to see the min fps rate you all get with the new drivers vs the old.

I have the new Cat 5.6 downloaded, but haven't installed it yet.

Question... the ATI site recommends having SP2 installed for best results. I uninstalled SP2 a couple of months ago because of some conflicts. I wonder how much difference it really makes? Please, could those that are posting results include which OS and if you are running XP, please list whether you have SP1 or SP2? Thanks.

batboy said:
I have the new Cat 5.6 downloaded, but haven't installed it yet.

Question... the ATI site recommends having SP2 installed for best results. I uninstalled SP2 a couple of months ago because of some conflicts. I wonder how much difference it really makes? Please, could those that are posting results include which OS and if you are running XP, please list whether you have SP1 or SP2? Thanks.

You Probably won't notice a thing, if it did, i would think it would be only slight performance increase/decrease...

Blackmage said:
Well i have been Playing Some Counter Strike source and where i was getting 30FPS i now getting 45!

i noticed that too, just not as much. instead of getting 30-40 in firefights/smoke i will get 40-50. maybe gave me a couple fps difference just walking around the map.

desolateincbus said:
i noticed that too, just not as much. instead of getting 30-40 in firefights/smoke i will get 40-50. maybe gave me a couple fps difference just walking around the map.

was playing CS : S a bit more Im really happy with these drivers. Im impressed so far 3D mark coming soon

Is anyone willing to say these are better than any other catalyst drivers for DX9 3D games? Comments please?

HousERaT said:
Is anyone willing to say these are better than any other catalyst drivers for DX9 3D games? Comments please?

Ok so far, im enjoying these Drviers Just done a Auaqmark run got 41K and that with my Cpu at stock! before i was getting 39k with my stock cpu!

results so far with my x800xl

3dmark05
Omega 5.4: 4910
Cat 5.6 : 5116

CS:S Stress Test @ 1280x1024 4xAA/8xAF
Omega 5.4: 83.1 fps
Cat 5.6 : 88.4 fps

3dmark03 showed very little change for me though.. maybe a 20 point increase or so...

running XP w/ SP2 btw, since batboy asked..

Thanks guys/gals. Looks like nice gains across the board...... I'll have to switch over to these and give um a try.

Just wanted to add that I gained about 1500 points in Aquamark as well...

Also, what does this Catalyst AI thing do? I've seen it in ATI Tray Tools through the past few driver versions, but I've never played with it, and I can't figure out for the life of me what the heck it does?? Anyone know??

gibletzor said:
Just wanted to add that I gained about 1500 points in Aquamark as well...

Also, what does this Catalyst AI thing do? I've seen it in ATI Tray Tools through the past few driver versions, but I've never played with it, and I can't figure out for the life of me what the heck it does?? Anyone know??

Thats a nice increase Well so far cs:s is the only game i have seen an improvemnt form my 3d mark scores are the aquamark had improved :santa:

i love them so far, gta:sa runs smoother since im running it with the max draw distance with 4xt3 AA and quality 8x AF at 1280x1024 at very high settings, its like half life 2: san andreas

Back