• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Pin Mod Link

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TheGreySpectre

I have failed at using the search feature and coulnt find the thread that discusses it

I just bought a 400mhz 1.6Ghz cpu specs here and was wondering if someone could post how to do the pin mod to get it to 2Ghz or 2.13 Ghz

or tell me if I just wasted $50 buying the wrong processor

Thanks

BTW how hard is it to open up an I9300

TheGreySpectre said:
I have failed at using the search feature and coulnt find the thread that discusses it

I just bought a 400mhz 1.6Ghz cpu specs here and was wondering if someone could post how to do the pin mod to get it to 2Ghz or 2.13 Ghz

Thanks

I am afraid you baught the wrong cpu. The I9300 uses Intel Pentium M, Dothan, socket 479. And you baught a socket 478 mobile p4.
Thanks

waddupmm said:
Pin mod.. Wtf is a pin mod..
This pin mod works only on laptops with 915chipest, what it suppose to, let say you have Petium M 1.5 (15x100) and you do this pin mod and you get (15x133)= 2Ghz, simply changes fsb 100 to 133

As stated, you bought a P4 M, not a Pentium M processor. There is a huge difference. It looks like your system allready has a 740 proc (1.6ghz 533mhz bus) and the 915 chipset. So yes, you could do the pin mod. The processor you are after is an Intel Pentium M 725. That is the 1.6ghz dothan chip with 400mhz bus. Then you could do pin mod for 533mhz and have 2.13ghz chip speed. You do NOT want to put a p4 m into your system. Good luck finding a 725, i think they go for about $200 on ebay.

J.

Hm, can this be done with a 745 processor? I have one that I was planning on putting in my laptop...but I haven't done it and it's been sitting on my desk for 8 months. I'm probably just going to sell it, but it'd be nice to know if I could do that little pin mod thingy.

ahhh, well crap

I didnt know that about the pins, arrrrg, To many darn 1.6Ghz intel laptop chips

and BTW I have a 730 not a 740 (1.6 w/ 533 FSB)

Last edited:
TheGreySpectre said:

Thanks

Spectre, if you have a P4 desktop rig, those CPUs will drop right in, and they have some AMAZING overclocking abilities. Since it doesn't have any heatspreader, you need to use a bolt-on heatsink, or a water block. A HS that uses the bracket, won't touch the CPU die.

steve

Anyone know if there's also a pin-mod for Mobile-P4 chips? (NOT the P4-M with advanced speedstep) My Mobile 2.8 is already a 533FSB chip so it prolly can't go higher on a laptop mainboard...

The 1.6 P-M (400Mhz) will do 2.13 with the pin mod, 1.7 will do 2.26, and the 1.8 will do 2.4Ghz. The 1.6 is pretty much guaranteed to give you a nice stable overclock and of course as you try to go higher with the 1.7 and 1.8, your chance of success gets lower. There are also volt mods that can be done to help your chances but it all depends on your comfort level of tinkering with your laptop. Before you jump in make sure you do your research with the link that Dylruss gave. There is also another thread that has a lot of good info (although it is 35+ or - pages long). Here is the link:
http://www.notebookforums.com/showthread.php?t=76096&page=1&pp=15

Well I did the mod on my 9300 with a 400FSB 1.7, worked like a charm. Applied Shin-Etsu to CPU and GPU while I was at it, left the CPU at stock volts (1.34) and it is currently priming, 54C seems to be full load temp, GPU at idle while P95 is running is 45C. Man those stock thermal pads are horrible. Super PI is now 35 seconds at 2.26Ghz, it was 42 or so at 1.6. I am a happy camper overall, the mod is not hard if you read the instructions and take your time.

Only on the 915 chipset. The 700m and other models that use the 855 chipset can NOT be pin modded. The 855 chipset does not support anything higher than a 400mhz bus so the pin mod will leave you with a non-booting laptop.

J.

so any laptop that uses the 915 chipset the pin mod should work (with a 400mhz Pentium M of course)?

Back