• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My Custom Chilled Water System

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
So along with the water jug cooler what else did you have to buy? (hoses, clamps, blocks... etc.)

g0dM@n said:
So along with the water jug cooler what else did you have to buy? (hoses, clamps, blocks... etc.)

The water cooler I got was free because it was "broken." The water block is an Asetek I got off the net for $45. I spent $4 for 20' of 1/2" OD tubing, and $7 for the grease. Most of the fittings I got for free because my dad has a lot of plumbing stuff laying around since we always fix everything ourselves. Oh yeah; the pump cost $30 and the insulation was $4.

In total, I spent around $100. The digital thermometer was free since it was "broken" as well. I love technologically illiterate people...

You love them b/c you take advantage of them!!!

I have gotten lots of old computer parts for free just b/c one was broken.

For example, "Hey I need a new computer. Mine doesn't turn on." I'll say, "You sure you don't want me to fix it?"... Response, "Nah, I just want a new one. Keep the old parts if you want or throw it out." Me, "SURE!"

And there you have it. I've gotten AXP systems, and pIII systems like that, as well as pIIs (crap) and AMD K6-2 systems (crap). But hey... I'm not complainin!

nice CSBoecker
i thought you have to put like some sponge like stuff around the socket as well?
and with the dielectric grease, all you did was just slap some on the back and then bolt it on?! thats so freakin simple, and same goes for the socket? argh! lol
oh, one more thing, you have to supply your own pump?

The_WRATH said:
nice CSBoecker
i thought you have to put like some sponge like stuff around the socket as well?
and with the dielectric grease, all you did was just slap some on the back and then bolt it on?! thats so freakin simple, and same goes for the socket? argh! lol
oh, one more thing, you have to supply your own pump?

I'm no expert, so I can't tell you if the way I used the grease was the best/most efficient way possible. I basically just did what I felt like would keep moisture from getting to the cold parts.

As for the pump, I didn't buy a whole water-cooling kit, I just bought the CPU block because I'm so cheap... Besides, in-line pumps cost $60 to $180 more than a cheap garden pump that sits in a reservoir.

Veyr nice, I been thinkin about experimenting with an A/C that was givin to me. I need to do alot more research before I get started though.

mysterfix said:
Veyr nice, I been thinkin about experimenting with an A/C that was givin to me. I need to do alot more research before I get started though.

just a little one works great :)

My home grown water chiller -22C
http://s9.invisionfree.com/XCSO_Forum/index.php?showtopic=307&st=75

CSBoecker looks good thought you would need more insulation?
http://s9.invisionfree.com/XCSO_Forum/index.php?showtopic=307&st=30
And I still kept fighting condensation.

Back on phase change with the x2

Back