• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

backing up a laptop

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

shrinkydinx

my friends laptop is overrun with adware and viruses, and i was wondering if there was an easy way to backup her entire hard drive to my computer ... to ensure i dont delete anything important... :shrug:

If you're using some sort of network, you can just make a copy of all the stuff you want into a shared folder in your computer.

-1cem4n

You can buy an external USB case for laptop hard drives for like $10 ebay. I had to get one to install Windows on my Laptop, as you see from my sig, I couldnt use a CD to install it. Or you can get a laptop IDE to desktop IDE convertor for liek $5 on ebay. I got the USB case because I thought someday if I ever get nice deal on a small laptop drive I could actually use it.

AMD Phreak said:
External drive with a live boot distro, such as Knoppix STD or PHLAK, and then use the DD utility.

Thats a good one too:D I have wanted to learn the DD utility for a while. Do you have any good links to guides? Perhaps write up a guide for the forum. I am sure it would get stickied;)

Back