• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Linux that runs completely from CD?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

z0n3

After several plagues have been brought on my gaming rig (broken motherboard, gfx card, and a general state of one problem after another) my Raptor decides to die. I have everything else working but I no longer have a hard drive. On top of that I used my last Windows install on the Raptor. Upon hearing my crys of pain over this a friend tells me that a Linux distro( is this the right term?) can be run completely off a CD. Not only that but it it has F@H on it as well. This is wonderful news for me. My rigs haven't been folding for what seems like weeks. Does this magical Linux exist and where do I get?

I've never heard of one that has [email protected] that's not to say that it doesn't exist. There are several distros that can run from a cd and there are ways to incorporate F@H into a live cd, but in your case you'll probiably need someone to create the disk for you. Sorry for your loss, and good luck getting up and running again.

Overclockix is a distro based on Knoppix, which is in turn based on Debian. Knoppix has a live CD you can download (it's designed to run entirely from the CD, using on the fly compression). Overclockix is a somewhat modified version of Knoppix, made by one of the guys on this forum.

i used to keep knoppix disks with me all the time, one time in high school i booted knoppix on all (about 20) computers in a lab while the lab guy was gone, he was shocked and confused when he came back. it was worth the cost of 20 cd-rs

I am downloading it now. After its done downloading how do I put it on cd? Do I extract the files with something and then burn it or can I just burn it as it is?

Your CD burning program should have an option like "Burn CD from image" or similiar. Choose that, tell it the file you just downloaded, burn it. Once it has been burned put it in your drive, make sure your BIOS is set to boot from CD, and it should be all done. :cool:

Folding launches at boot by itself in the background, and it folds for me. Changing the client.cfg is pretty simple. I made a script called cfgfold. So you open a terminal program such as konsole and run that command.

And just a warning... 3.8 is still a development version. Its got some bugs. I'll probably take it down soon and replace it with v 3.9. Just got my duallie back in operation and cleared a bunch of junk from the hdd, so I should get to building the next release here pretty quick.

If you have questions, ask away. A lot of people here are familiar with the distro. And the guy who made it has a nasty habit of showing up whenever there's a thread about Overclockix.

-Arkaine
Overclockix developer

Back