• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help i can't update my Nvidia drivers

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Bestmaxx

When i install my nvidia drivers for my geforce 6800 gt it says this:
1st. window says: The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect.
2nd window says: Unable to open the self-extracting executable file. The file is locked or in use by another process. The installation will terminate.

I don't know if this matters, but i am getting the 71.89 drivers off of nvidia's website, and there is no previous installation of nvidia anything.. I just reformatted.

ANY HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED... Right now im screwed and i don't know what to do from this point..

Or you could try the omega drivers. I have used them for ATI for a while, and like them, they seem great, and may possibly give you a slight performance boost vs stock drivers.

http://www.omegadrivers.net/

From what I understand, quite a few people use them. I use them over the stock ones, and they work great. I think the ones I have have some overclocking options, though you don't have to OC. But maybe give those a shot and see if they do the job.

My advice would be to turn to some modded drivers. Personally, I find their performance and image quality to surpass those of the stock NVIDIA's. Currently, I am using the Xtreme-G 77.50 drivers and I absolutely love them. You can find these and many more at www.tweaksrus.com. Also, use this procedure to attempt a proper install.

1. Uninstall your current drivers, reboot
2. During the reboot, hit F4 to boot into safe mode
3. While in safe mode, use driver cleaner to remove all traces of the old drivers
4. Once the clean is complete, reboot back into normal windows and install the new drivers

deception``

Even after a reformat and not installing anything else i still get this error...
The omega drivers are corrupt when i try to use them.

The only thing that works are the drivers on the cd... they work, but are extremely outdated.

Take ur overclock off and try to install them. (either driver)

ur system might be having a problem reading them correctly.

:cool:

Well it's not overclocking, because i just did a complete reformat... So it should be running at stock speeds..

Back