• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need help tweaking my Ryzen + NVIDIA system (Just returned to PC)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

pnd

Registered
Hello everyone,

Been away from PC gaming for 15 years, and recently got back. I bought a PC, but have unfortunately had all sorts of issues with stability ever since. Ranging from BSODs to unstable FPS in games. Mostly is probably due to my lack of knowledge in what I am doing. Mostly I actually had a lot of trouble with my RAM, which got better during BIOS updates though, now they seem to run at max. I have read so much about everything online, but I just sort of lost it now, and would really appreciate some help. Hell, I am even willing to pay for professional help if that exists. I am open to any suggestions. Even to hardware upgrades if anything applies. I am planning on buying the next NVIDIA 1180/2080 GTX when it comes out, since I started playing in 1440p. Anything else though, I have no plans for yet.

Specifications:
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-AB350-Gaming 3
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600
CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken x62 v2
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LED CMU16GX4M2C3200C16R (2 x 8 GB)
Graphics: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1060 Aorus Xtreme 6GB
PSU: EVGA 650 GQ
Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q @ 1440p 144hz

BIOS Version: F23d
NVIDIA Driver Version: 398.36
AMD Chipset Driver Version: 18.10

My BIOS setup so far: (What I think is relevant)
CPU Clock Ratio: 36.50 (3.65 GHz)

Core Performance Boost: Auto
AMD Cool&Quiet function: Enabled
SVM Mode: Disabled
Global C-state Control: Auto
Power Supply Idle Control: Auto
Opcache Control: Auto
Downcore Control: Auto
SMT Mode: Auto
High Precision Event Timer: Disabled

Extreme Memory Profile: Disabled
System Memory Multiplier 32.00 (3200 MHz)
Timings(Manual): 16/18/18/18/36 (Don't know why there's 5 numbers here, but only says 16/18/18/36 on the RAM)
DRAM Voltage: 1.350V

I would like to overclock the CPU as much as I can, and also start overclocking my GPU. Can anyone help me hold my hand through this maybe?

Oh by the way. I tried to overclock my GFX before. First I tried with AORUS software, which I found out sucks really bad. Then I tried following this guide: https://www.pcgamesn.com/overclocking-guide-how-to-overclock

However. Whenever I increase my Memory Clock until I see artifacts, then turn it down a notch, then like a few minutes later my computer hangs. So I can run really high Memory Clocks, but it will hang after a while almost no matter what I set it to. So I was discouraged to continue till I get more knowledge or help :)

BSoD's, unstable FPS...GPU won't overclock...

Have you considered RMA'ing it?

Not sure he's given it a college try to see what's up yet...

we also do not know what unstable FPS means and such so... whoa horsey.........whooooooooooooooooooooa. :p

BSoD's, unstable FPS...GPU won't overclock...

Have you considered RMA'ing it?
I've built it myself.
BSODs usually come from memory issue, which I think(hope) is gone with the new BIOS and correct RAM timings, that I think I have actually nailed now.

Been messing around with MSI afterburner for a while now, from the guide I found.
I can get seemly stable(for now) get:
+700 MHz Memory Clock
+130 MHz Core Clock
Giving me about 2138 MHz boost clock and 9622 MHz RAM clock.

No idea if that is around what I should see though. Unigine Heaven keeps crashing on me when I change it. I never get to see artifacts or anything indicating that I am near the limit, it just closes.

Your RAM does not have the Samsung "B" die chips which are known to give a good chance of being able to run the RAM at the full 3200 mhz. RAM made with other chips you can't count on very well to allow running at full advertised frequency. You can tell the Samsung B die kits because they have lower CAS latency and timings. CL is of t he Samsung B is typically 14 for 3200 RAM.

So the first thing I would do would be to run Memtest86 for four passes and make sure the RAM is stable at 3200 mhz. Did you try enabling XMP mode?

Before tackling the video card overclocking you need to make sure your system is stable otherwise. I mentioned Memtes86 but I would also run other stress tests on the system like Realbench with the video card at stock frequencies and voltages.

Last edited:
Not sure he's given it a college try to see what's up yet...

we also do not know what unstable FPS means and such so... whoa horsey.........whooooooooooooooooooooa. :p

I sort of assumed, with the lack of overclock and jumpy FPS, that perhaps the GPU was throwing errors to Windows and Windows was blue screening as a result. I suppose that is a bit pre-emptive. I also missed the part where he said he was looking for overclocking help, I thought this was a thread about completely random crashes. :chair:

OP, I would suggest stressing everything, as Trents detailed. Memtest86, Prime95, AIDA64, whatever programs you prefer (maybe run all three? Not sure if there's any reason you couldn't), and if you keep getting blue screens, turn everything back to stock, then stress again to make sure nothing's acting funny. Most Ryzen chips can hit 3.8GHz at least, so dial that in at 1.4 volts after stress testing.

I've built it myself.
BSODs usually come from memory issue, which I think(hope) is gone with the new BIOS and correct RAM timings, that I think I have actually nailed now.

Been messing around with MSI afterburner for a while now, from the guide I found.
I can get seemly stable(for now) get:
+700 MHz Memory Clock
+130 MHz Core Clock
Giving me about 2138 MHz boost clock and 9622 MHz RAM clock.

No idea if that is around what I should see though. Unigine Heaven keeps crashing on me when I change it. I never get to see artifacts or anything indicating that I am near the limit, it just closes.
One thing at a time........ :)

If you insist on double duty, on the GPU overclock one thing at a time as far as core and memory. Find the core limit, back to stock with the core, and find the memory limit. Then find them both together. But let's put this on the back burner and get the CPU taken care of. The GPU is the easy part.

Your RAM does not have the Samsung "B" die chips which are known to a good chance of being able to run the RAM at the full 3200 mhz. RAM made with other chips you can't count on very well to allow running at full advertised frequency. You can tell the Samsung B die kits because they have lower CAS latency and timints. CL is of t he Samsung B is typically 14.

So the first thing I would do would be to run Memtest86 for four passes and make sure the RAM is stable at 3200 mhz. Did you try enabling XMP mode?

Before tackling the video card overclocking you need to make sure your system is stable otherwise. I mentioned Memtes86 but I would also run other stress tests on the system like Realbench with the video card at stock frequencies and voltages.

Alright. I went stock on the video card etc. Then ran Memtest86 for 2 passes(takes an hour per pass) without any errors. Also ran Prime95 for some time. No issues. So it seems my RAM are actually stable at 3200?

Where do I go from here?

Up? What are your goals? What clocks and voltage are you current at?

Did you read the guide?

My goal is to get the most out of my system really. I spec'ed the PC for 1080p gaming, but have since upgraded to 1440p monitor, and I am running very close to the 60 fps border where my G-SYNC starts to mess up. So I would like to push as much FPS out of the system as I can. Also I am actually streaming while playing as well, so I am putting stress on my machine.

I did read the guide, however I must admit that does not mean I am now fully confident. There are so many terms I have to go google every time I see them, so I apologize, but I am still in the learning phase.

I did however get Cinebench and Ryzen Master and started to mess around. I am really mostly failing to grasp the voltage thing. I feel like I have no clue where to start and how much to push it. I took a wild guess and set my CPU to 3.9 GHz and voltage to 1.35, and I ran Cinebench multiple times with no issues. Running a bunch of Prime95 on it now. But I got absolutely no idea whether those numbers are right or anything.

I am sorry, but English is not my native language, and all the technical terms are a lot to grasp. But I am trying my best here, and appreciate all your help.

Okay so I got a specific question now.
I am running stable at 3.85 GHz at 1.35 CPU voltage in Ryzen Master.

But I have to set the overclock everytime my pc starts, so I researched that I should set it in BIOS afterwards when I find good settings. However, in my BIOS, the voltage is set as offsets instead of a value. The maximum offset is +0.3, which only gets me to 1.2v. I tried this, and that is not stable at 3.85 GHz.

What gives? :)

Typically, overclocking is done from the BIOS in the first place. Windows overclocking is generally done when really pushing the limits.

As far as the specific question, I do not have the motherboard so I personally cannot help. Someone more familiar with Ryzen overclocking will chime in soon I am sure.

Your RAM does not have the Samsung "B" die chips which are known to a good chance of being able to run the RAM at the full 3200 mhz. RAM made with other chips you can't count on very well to allow running at full advertised frequency. You can tell the Samsung B die kits because they have lower CAS latency and timints. CL is of t he Samsung B is typically 14.

Memory compatibility realy isn't much of an issue with Ryzen any longer.

Okay so I got a specific question now.
I am running stable at 3.85 GHz at 1.35 CPU voltage in Ryzen Master.

But I have to set the overclock everytime my pc starts, so I researched that I should set it in BIOS afterwards when I find good settings. However, in my BIOS, the voltage is set as offsets instead of a value. The maximum offset is +0.3, which only gets me to 1.2v. I tried this, and that is not stable at 3.85 GHz.

What gives? :)
Adding .3V should give you more than 1.2V in Windows. Usually those smaller boards tap out at 1.4V, check in BIOS for LLC settings and crank them up if you find them.
Ryzen Master is OK but you have already found the fault with it. You need to set your OC everytime you boot the system. You can save a profile but there is no auto function that returns you back to your overclock settings.

Memory compatibility realy isn't much of an issue with Ryzen any longer.

Adding .3V should give you more than 1.2V in Windows. Usually those smaller boards tap out at 1.4V, check in BIOS for LLC settings and crank them up if you find them.
Ryzen Master is OK but you have already found the fault with it. You need to set your OC everytime you boot the system. You can save a profile but there is no auto function that returns you back to your overclock settings.

Just gave it another go.

Now getting 1.296V with +0.3V offset. Running stable at 3.8 GHz. For whatever reason CPU-Z, HWMonitor, Ryzen Master and NZXT CAM reads Core Speed as 1546.31 MHz with this setup. Task manager, ParkControl, Cinebench and 3DMark shows 3.8GHz. (It says Core Speed 1546 MHz, Multiplier 15.5, Bus Speed 99.76 MHz)
Can you help elaborate on this?

If I set it to 3.85-3.9GHz, that I can run with Ryzen Master at 1.5V, it crashes running Prime95.

I have not touched "Dynamic VCORE SOC(DVID), it's just at auto. Should I leave that or do something here?

Don't worry about SOC. Unles the PC is under load the core speed and voltage should stay down like that. Did you find LLC in the BIOS Load line control

Don't worry about SOC. Unles the PC is under load the core speed and voltage should stay down like that. Did you find LLC in the BIOS Load line control

Oops sorry I forgot to write about that. There is no LLC options at all to be found. I google it too, and other are complaining that Gigabyte did not include this. Maybe I should add a motherboard and Ryzen gen 2 upgrade to my christmas wishlist. But for now, I hope to get as much out of this as possible.

Do you know why I get different readings of the GHz in the different applications?

Back