• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need help tweaking my Ryzen + NVIDIA system (Just returned to PC)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Do you know why I get different readings of the GHz in the different applications?
When you put a load on it, does that frequency jump back up?

See this from the previous post...
Unles the PC is under load the core speed and voltage should stay down like that.

When you put a load on it, does that frequency jump back up?

See this from the previous post...

It is under load yes. From what I can find online, it must be related to some of the CPU settings in BIOS or the power plan. But I got no idea :(
See the picture here.
coreload.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

CPU settings in BIOS:
Core Performance Boost: Disabled
AMD Cool&Quiet function: Disabled
SVM Mode: Disabled
Global C-state Control: Disabled
Power Supply Idle Control: Auto
Opcache Control: Auto
Downcore Control: Auto
SMT Mode: Auto

Power settings:
power.jpg

Be sure Windows power plan is set to high performance otherwise it will settle back on idle (supposed to do that). But change it to higher performance and see if that helps.

So, do you ever see the core speed you set? WHat are temperatures when you are running this? It could be from temps, but we do not see that information. :)

Go DL and install Hwmonitor. This will give you a shed load of information including voltages, temperatures, speeds, and throttling reasons. Open the program and let it sit for a a couple mins, then run a stress test and see what happens to the temps, and core speeds...see if there is a throttling reason.

Be sure Windows power plan is set to high performance otherwise it will settle back on idle (supposed to do that). But change it to higher performance and see if that helps.

So, do you ever see the core speed you set? WHat are temperatures when you are running this? It could be from temps, but we do not see that information. :)

Go DL and install Hwmonitor. This will give you a shed load of information including voltages, temperatures, speeds, and throttling reasons. Open the program and let it sit for a a couple mins, then run a stress test and see what happens to the temps, and core speeds...see if there is a throttling reason.

Temperature at 41 deg celcius when running at 100% load. Still showing 1550 MHz, no matter what power plan I try and run. Also I did restart in between changing it.

I can't get the Gigabyte site to work to check your BIOS version, is that the newest available?
You CPU shouldn't be at 1500 when running P95.
Another thing that occured to me, you said using RM works and everything runs the correct speed? During my testing with RM I had a hard time getting it to let go of the PC control and trying to OC from BIOS after didn't work. You might have to flash the BIOS again if setting defaults doesn't clear it up.

I can't get the Gigabyte site to work to check your BIOS version, is that the newest available?
Another thing that occured to me, you said using RM works and everything runs the correct speed? During my testing with RM I had a hard time getting it to let go of the PC control and trying to OC from BIOS after didn't work. You might have to flash the BIOS again if setting defaults doesn't clear it up.

I just tried uninstalling Ryzen Master and resetting BIOS, and found something really weird.

When I set Vcore to +0.222V I get 1.440V and correct clock readings in CPU-Z etc.
When I set Vcore to anything above, even just +0.228V, it seems to downclock my system to 1500MHz.

Also tried HWMonitor as EarthDog suggested, but I couldn't really figure out anything from it to be honest.

CPU2.jpg
This is what I see after letting P95 settle for 5 minutes.

Does it look good?

Looks like all the clockspeeds are up to 3.8 GHz... :)

I'll leave the rest to those who know AMD Ryzen better than I.

Forgot to answer this. BIOS is the latest version yes. And yes, everything works with RM.

Makes me wonder if setting the higher voltage triggers some protection on the mobo? Like I said typically these mATX boards have limited voltage range because of the limited VRM. So being able to use up to 1.44V which is about as high as you should be going for voltage should allow you to get to your maximum clock.

Makes me wonder if setting the higher voltage triggers some protection on the mobo? Like I said typically these mATX boards have limited voltage range because of the limited VRM. So being able to use up to 1.44V which is about as high as you should be going for voltage should allow you to get to your maximum clock.
Sound possible, given what I am seeing.

So I messed around a bit more, and seems like I am getting 4GHz stable actually. So I think I will leave it at that. Can you confirm everything looks good?

Also I would really like clarification on what to put my BIOS settings for these things to:
CPU settings in BIOS:
Core Performance Boost
AMD Cool&Quiet function
SVM Mode
Global C-state Control
Power Supply Idle Control
Opcache Control
Downcore Control
SMT Mode

When I get those last settings nailed, and have clarified it is all stable by some more stress testing, I guess we can actually set a check mark for CPU and RAM.

Attachments

• 4ghz.jpg
    4ghz.jpg
    725 KB · Views: 138
Was that a picture of the system under load? If so it's reporting on 500 MHz for speed

Was that a picture of the system under load? If so it's reporting on 500 MHz for speed

It was, but I just noticed I apparently took the screenshot at a bad time. The load goes up and down while running Prime95, as you can see on the Utilization graphs. Maybe that is not normal either?

That almost looks like some type of throttling. From my experience P95 keeps the CPU pegged at 100% some other tests like IBT will cycle up and down like that but not P95. You're going to have to back off a bit with the OC I think
There's also no need for that core parking utility. Ryzen Balance was supposed to address tht issue

That almost looks like some type of throttling. From my experience P95 keeps the CPU pegged at 100% some other tests like IBT will cycle up and down like that but not P95. You're going to have to back off a bit with the OC I think
There's also no need for that core parking utility. Ryzen Balance was supposed to address tht issue

Hmm. I checked again with P95. It does not happen in the beginning, but when it starts doing some iteration tests, it starts doing that. I even lowered the clock a lot and it still does it.

Yeah, it wouldn't happen in the beginning. That's normal. P95 takes a few minutest to ramp up. This suggests throttling to me, either the CPU or the motherboard.

Yeah, it wouldn't happen in the beginning. That's normal. P95 takes a few minutest to ramp up. This suggests throttling to me, either the CPU or the motherboard.
Hmm. Ok I lowered my OC to 3.9 GHz and applied the GPU overclocking numbers that I have found to work, to check if everything was running stable.
Ran 3DMark Time Spy stress test and passed at 99,6%.
This should suggest that everything is stable and not throttling or?
results.jpg

It looks OK during Time Spy but that's not P95 either. If you look at your last pic you'll see TMPIN is over 100C that's likely your VRM being overworked. You could try putting a fan in there to blow air over them. Since you're using an AIO any circulation in that area is gone so a fan will help

Ran some Prime95 testing. Maybe someone can help me see what is happening here? I Tried to take screenshots with all tools open at relevant times, so I hope someone can help analyze this.

Before starting:
stress1.jpg

After a few minutes of settling:
stress2.jpg

An error happens on Worker #1 and Worker #5:
stress3.jpg

Then later the supposed throttling start happening:
stress4.jpg

*EDIT*:
It looks OK during Time Spy but that's not P95 either. If you look at your last pic you'll see TMPIN is over 100C that's likely your VRM being overworked. You could try putting a fan in there to blow air over them. Since you're using an AIO any circulation in that area is gone so a fan will help
I just saw your reply after I posted this. I got a little USB fan I use for long gaming sessions. I put it on the area that I believe is the VRM, just above the CPU. This lowered TMPIN4 from 106 to about 70 degrees in no time. When I remove the fan, it slowly rises back to around 100 again. Anything I can do about this?

Last edited:
Found this on another forum too:
"Quote Originally Posted by demien88
Hi...I've got the same motherboard and it has a thermal sensor located in the midst of the FET's; one for each the CPU and the SOC VRM. HWInfo64 reads those sensors.

I can also confirm it's very easy for the CPU VRM temperature to exceed 100C when overclocking. At 105-110C the controller will initiate CPU throttling in the latest BIOS's but the BIOS my board came with...F2 i think it was...didn't enable throttling and it would get to around 115-120C before instability would crash the system.

The FET's used...OnSemi 4C10N / 4C06N low-side...are rated to something north of 125C so I think they're safe for it. But even so I'm sure operating above 95C isn't good so I put a fan on the VRM area that helps keep temp in the mid 80's during hand brake encoding. I feel a fan blowing on the VRM board area works well since these FETs' die heatsink just as effectively through their leads to the power and ground plane in the motherboard.

The SOC VRM will also power the IGPU's when Zen APU's come available. I expect that's when we'll learn if they're adequate for the job intended."

Anything I can do but having a fan running?

Back