• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Battlefield 2: Opinions and Observations

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Does the full version of Battlefield 2 live up to your expectations?

• Yes! It is 110% pure whoopass!

Votes: 77 27.3%
  • It's pretty good, I really enjoy it.

Votes: 134 47.5%
  • It's fine, I guess.

Votes: 42 14.9%
  • I don't really like it.

Votes: 14 5.0%
  • Worst. Episode. Ever! No game has ever let me down this much!

Votes: 15 5.3%

• Total voters

Oni

Oni-ni-Kanab;, Ninja Hippo eater Moderator
Think Battlefield 2 is better than sliced bread? Think it sucks more than words can describe? Please vote here!

Just remember that this poll is for the FULL version of the game, not the demo. Please wait until you've played the full version of the game to vote.

I love it to death, but i feel a little =let down. Maybe ti's the community, there is this wonderful gem of teamplay built right into the game, and few seem to be using it.

probably the only two things I don't like are how easy it is to run yourself over after getting out of a vehicle and how you can run over your teammates going 1mph

edit: well, i was mad about those two things because i keep killing myself getting out of cars, but i also hate the whole lock-on system with planes. i can lead my shots way better than the stupid lock-on system, there should be a way to switch between the two, that way you could like get a lock on a guy and make him go the directions you want so its easier to aim ahead with your missiles.

also the fact that the anti air SUCKS. for instance, in Oman, there's only ONE anti air at the MEC main base, and the USMC can usually be over at the MEC base (because they typically spawn closer) if they fly higher in the thinner air with after burners all the way and bomb the MEC jets as they're taking off, then keep them down the entire game while killing the anti-air gun periodically. basically they took out the SKILL of shooting down planes by leading with stingers in DC. That leads to the next thing I hate, the overall skill level BF2 takes is much less than DC. The guns are worse, the lock-on system is lame and sucky. I can shoot down a chopper with an RPG in DC in one shot by predicting where it's going, but not in BF2 due to the crappy lock-on system (with stingers/igla, not anti-air kit which is too slow to hit any air). They just throw flares out and avoid the rocket. That takes all the skill away. The guns are totally inaccurate though some would argue with me (not saying this because I'm bad with them because im not).

Tanks and cars burn to death when at low health = LAME. Then there's another second explosion with the wreckage. WTF is that? Why should the wreckage explode again? If you're hiding near it it kills you with the second explosion.

Helicopter controls are totally not-fun however "realistic" they may be. If I can't aim my nose down to shoot at something without coming 10 feet from the ground, what's the point of the pilot having rockets anyway?

No more guided missile launch sites, why did they take this out?

Artillery is so lame, click a button and get 6 free kills. W00T! so much skill involved there! Bring back the normal DC arty where you actually had to LEARN how to use it.

Actually, the whole commander mode is retarded IMO. sure it adds a different strategic twist to it, but I think it's better for the players to make each other aware of nearby enemies and to shoot arty or give supplies.

The game basically invites base camping as you have to enter the enemy main base to blow up their commander buildings. I don't know about you, but I don't think base camping is a very fun part of the game.

The planes are ridiculously fast. Even if there were anti-air missiles you could aim by yourself there would be no way to hit a jet going that fast.

C4 glitches whenever you try to switch to the detonation button and won't switch, but instead throws another c4 out if you try to press the detonate button while its "trying" to switch.

Grenade launchers are unbalanced. There should only be 2 or 3 shots in it, not a ridiculous 5. They're so easy to base camp with.

I know none of this will probably be fixed aside from glitches like the C4. This guy in my friend's clan knows the head guy in charge of BF2 (forgot his name, its Steve something.) Apparantly they're pretty good friends, and he brought up all these issues and more to Steve and basically he said "I don't care, I gave them the game I wanted to give them. I'll leave it to the modding community." EA sucks.

Don't get me wrong though. I love the game and think it is very fun :)

edit: woops that guys name was Scott not Steve, Scott Evans actually after I googled it.

Last edited:
mage_x said:
probably the only two things I don't like are how easy it is to run yourself over after getting out of a vehicle and how you can run over your teammates going 1mph

edit: well, i was mad about those two things because i keep killing myself getting out of cars, but i also hate the whole lock-on system with planes. i can lead my shots way better than the stupid lock-on system, there should be a way to switch between the two, that way you could like get a lock on a guy and make him go the directions you want so its easier to aim ahead with your missiles.

also the fact that the anti air SUCKS. for instance, in Oman, there's only ONE anti air at the MEC main base, and the USMC can usually be over at the MEC base (because they typically spawn closer) if they fly higher in the thinner air with after burners all the way and bomb the MEC jets as they're taking off, then keep them down the entire game while killing the anti-air gun periodically. basically they took out the SKILL of shooting down planes by leading with stingers in DC. That leads to the next thing I hate, the overall skill level BF2 takes is much less than DC. The guns are worse, the lock-on system is lame and sucky. I can shoot down a chopper with an RPG in DC in one shot by predicting where it's going, but not in BF2 due to the crappy lock-on system (with stingers/igla, not anti-air kit which is too slow to hit any air). They just throw flares out and avoid the rocket. That takes all the skill away. The guns are totally inaccurate though some would argue with me (not saying this because I'm bad with them because im not).

It's really an issue of balance, from what I hear in testing it used to be a lot easir to AA something down, but that is kinda no fun because then people would complain about not being able to fly.

Tanks and cars burn to death when at low health = LAME. Then there's another second explosion with the wreckage. WTF is that? Why should the wreckage explode again? If you're hiding near it it kills you with the second explosion.

I only see one explosion when the thing blows up... they burn to death when nobody is in them so they can respawn.

Helicopter controls are totally not-fun however "realistic" they may be. If I can't aim my nose down to shoot at something without coming 10 feet from the ground, what's the point of the pilot having rockets anyway?

I never played DC and didn't play much of Nam.. .but the choppers are EASY to fly. You need to establish a good amount of forward speed + torque from the main prop to keep you 'up' to be able to use the rockets (just like real life!).

Artillery is so lame, click a button and get 6 free kills. W00T! so much skill involved there! Bring back the normal DC arty where you actually had to LEARN how to use it.

I don't like it much either, hopefully servers can disable it.

Actually, the whole commander mode is retarded IMO. sure it adds a different strategic twist to it, but I think it's better for the players to make each other aware of nearby enemies and to shoot arty or give supplies.

I disagree there, maybe you have had some suck commanders.

The game basically invites base camping as you have to enter the enemy main base to blow up their commander buildings. I don't know about you, but I don't think base camping is a very fun part of the game.

Ya there seems to be a lot of people who hate that. I'm not usually at the base waiting for a plane so I could care less. I've seen servers with these 'no base camping' rules and I seriously laugh out loud. Heck my name in 1942 was SpawnCamper a lot of the time because people would cry so much I figure I'd just let them know what I'm going to be doing. All they had to do was kill me... why is it so hard?

The planes are ridiculously fast. Even if there were anti-air missiles you could aim by yourself there would be no way to hit a jet going that fast.

Actually you are wrong there... the missles fly faster than the jets but that goes back to Anti Air and balance

C4 glitches whenever you try to switch to the detonation button and won't switch, but instead throws another c4 out if you try to press the detonate button while its "trying" to switch.

Never got that...

Grenade launchers are unbalanced. There should only be 2 or 3 shots in it, not a ridiculous 5. They're so easy to base camp with.

No... they are not easy to base camp with, the spawn points at bases are done quite well and it's impossible to camp all of them, especially with one nade launcher with an arc... it's much easier to just shoot them trust me.

I know none of this will probably be fixed aside from glitches like the C4. This guy in my friend's clan knows the head guy in charge of BF2 (forgot his name, its Steve something.) Apparantly they're pretty good friends, and he brought up all these issues and more to Steve and basically he said "I don't care, I gave them the game I wanted to give them. I'll leave it to the modding community." EA sucks.

Ya I think you've established your opinion pretty well... even if he said that, you are putting a spin on it. It's more like "well this game is BF2, and if you want something else (no commander mode etc), mod something."

Don't get me wrong though. I love the game and think it is very fun :)

haha... make up your mind!

Yes the server browser is smoother and the red name bug is fixed, I really didn't encounter any other bugs besides some graphical issues that need to be solved via drivers.

I cant even get the damn game to run. When i click the icon, the screen goes black, the montor clicks a few times, then it returns me to the desktop. uuugh :bang head

shellshock said:
I cant even get the damn game to run. When i click the icon, the screen goes black, the montor clicks a few times, then it returns me to the desktop. uuugh :bang head

Check your video.con file and change refresh to 1 instead of zero.(worked in BF1942). Set your windows interface to 60hz in video settings. I heard that might take care of it too.

NOOO!!! Called Gamestop who said, "We were supposed to have it today but there was a problem with shipping and now MA Gamestops won't have it until tomorrow."

And I coulda gotten out of work early too...

I was going to get it today but Gamestop didn't get it in, gotta wait until tomorrow :(

@Oni: is that last poll choice inspired by Comic Book Guy from the Simpsons? or am I just imagining things?

WuChild said:
Hmm? People are playing it now

In parts of Asia it was released today it so seems. I'll have mine tomorrow :santa:

I believe many people that have voted in the poll did not read the poll correctly, the polls states:

Does the full version of Battlefield 2 live up to your expectations?

Many of the pollers probably are voting on their demo experience, that is unless the 16 people that voted have pre-release versions, or are from parts of Asia :shrug:

It was shipped early from ebgames and AVAILABLE today therfor they got it with overnight today. EB let things go early so normal people have it.

As of what i thought, i like it. I think teh maps are well done. So far i have only played the city one and another. Everything just seems to realistic. My game seems much smoother then the demo for sure with no optimization guide. I also cant compare it to other battlefield games as i havent played them.

How is the BF2 server going?

And my name is Gunner19 if you want to teach my some things.

I've been playing the full version, the game is good, it is worth the money etc, but I don't find it to be the best game of all time.

Back