• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

xfx 6800GT freezing/sound stuttering?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

lenix

Hello guys,
I've installed a xfx 6800GT on my system today.. one thing that's annoying me that my system is freezing since i installed it.. it happens randomly for like 4 seconds.. like there is some hard disk activity and then it continues.. and sometimes when im listening to music the sound stutters for a second or two.. that's really annoying, i don't know from what exactly and how can i fix that.. hope somebody can help, many thanks in advance

system:
865GBF intel mobo
intel p4 2.4ghz
512 ddr @330
500W PSU, 23A on 12+ Rail
xfx gf6600gt
2 case fans

P.S: i'm trying to figure the problem out.. i tried taking my case out of it's place in the pc desk and i removed the cover.. the stuttering stopped.. after a while i put the cover back on, and i inserted the case inside it's designed place in the pc desk.. the stuttering returned after a while.. but i have to do this experiment once again to be sure.

im hoping you guys would be able to help.. this stuttering is pain in the a**.

Last edited:
Sounds like heat

:welcome:

When you have the pc in the Pocket.It sounds like the heat factor inside the case is causing the Vid and Sound to hiccup and pause.

This is confirmed when you said that when you take the PC out of the pocket it runs fine.

The newer faster machine require much more cooling then say ,the old Pentium 2's and the old AMD k6's.So a pocket designed for the old standard will not always work for the newer designs.

Make sure you have enough cooling from front to back.A way that the heat can exit the pocket.

MassRaptor

hmm ya i think it's the overheating problem :( that's bad though.. it's just the airflow is not good while the case is in the pocket.. do you recommend anything other than changing my pc desk guys ? no money now... poor now :| lol

How about getting more airflow out the back where the computer is suppose to exhaust the hot air out.
Some of those desks come with paper board on the back side.Nothing a good steak Knife(if deperate) better with a Jig saw or .Ye ole faithful DREMMEL.
But try to give PC free flow path with fresh air in and hot air Out.

MassRaptor

i've got 2 pics of this ****ty pocket lol maybe somebody have an idea
http://img8.echo.cx/img8/3860/220620050019gu.jpg
http://img228.echo.cx/img228/1964/220620050024ji.jpg
you guys also can see that there is a door behind the pc desk ( which is never used also the door cannot be opened ).. so even if i took that wood behind the case i don't think anything will happen..

but you know what mostly im afraid of.. it it was'nt an air flow problem.. is there any way that i can be sure 100% what's causing the problem ?

thanks for help massraptor, and let's hope more opinions would hop in

I am pretty sure it would be the air flow problem because when you took it out of the pocket it worked fine, but just to make sure take it out of the pocket and see if it works, you could also try the card on a different comp if you have access to one, try running 3dmark05 or something see if it works. Good Luck.

Last edited:
i tried getting the case out of the pocket, removing the cover, getting an old big fan infront of the hardware.. runned some games, it play flawlessly.. but im experincing problems when the case is inside the pocket.. do you have any ideas guys that i can let the airflow inside the case better ? or maybe some cooling thing ? the problem is that i live in middle east and here they don't sell any water cooling systems or something like that! only those cheap generic case fans which i have 2 of them inside my case :(

Back