• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CPU for Gaming

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Butch

Registered
Just received my new MB (DFI 939 NF3 Ultra-D) now I am wondering what would GOOD cpu to get between a 3200 V or a 3700SD? I know there is a great price diff. but I have OCZ4001024wv3dc-k mem. Also using a Enermax 535w PSU and a EVGA 6800. Will the price difference show if I choose the 3700?? I am going from a xp2400 tb that just didn't seem to "cut it" Should I even consider the 3000. I am a Noob so any advice will be helpful. I have been upgrading my system by looking and asking questions from you guys. so thank you for your help in the past and with any help I get now.

Well, Are you going to overclock? If so you can probably get a 3000+ Venice to atleast 2.3ghz, maybe even over 2.7ghz. For overclocking I'd suggest a 3200+ Venice, look for one with SSE3. (190$ @ newegg) My friend got his 3200+ Venice to over 3.1ghz stable. I'd probably buy a 3500+ venice if I had the money, It's great at stock speeds, can get a good overclock. I'm not expert either, that's just my opinion!

So overall, I'd either suggest a 3200+ Venice, or a 3500+ Venice. Both good, I'd go with 3200+ if you expect to overclock alot. I'd make sure it has SSE3 functionality though. :)

People are hitting 2.7Ghz with the 3000 venice. I got one, still OCing it though. I would have to suggest the 3000 or 3200, but not the 3500, expecially if you are going to OC.

All Rev. E chips, that'd be Sanddiego and Venice, have the SSe3 instruction. A 3200 is good becuase of a 10x multi. It makes it easier to calculate your OC and you don't have to raise the HTT(Just like FSB) too much to get it high. The 3500 is cant justify its price difference. The edge that the SD has on a Venice is that it has a 1mb cache. It yeilds a 3-5% gain in benchmarks but you will notice a differnce, only a slight one, in everyday sctivites. Also, a 3000 only has a 9x multi. That means to reach 2.7GHz you need 300FSB.

So, whats my vote? A 3200 Venice. I would get it because of the 10x multi and easier just to calculate your OC.

PS- :welcome: to the forums! PM anytime if ytou need assistance.

The 3200+ Venice has a little more overclocking potential then the 3000+ and the performance difference between an overclocked 3200+ and a 3700+ SD wont be noticeable. The SD and Venice parts top out around the same clock speed on average.

Back