• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is this worth overclocking?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

eobard

Give me a break Senior
I'm putting this here because of the board in question's Intel 430vx chipset. My firewall / gateway machine is a cyrix 6x86 p150+ (120mhz cpu). It's currently running at p166+ rating (133mhz). The multiple is locked at 2.0 but there is a higher fsb I can set it to, 75mhz, which would be equal to a 6x86 P200+ using Cyrix's PR system. The question I have is do any of you think I'd get any system improvement from trying this overclock? I almost never directly access the system, I only use it as my artificial router / firewall (2 nic's, you know the deal). I tried the 75mhz bus before but given what I know about overclocking now I think I might be able to make it work but would it be worth the effort? Would I gain anything more than bragging rights?

Not if it gives me nothing but headaches while yielding a negligible performance boost. All that would leave me with is the ego boost and I must debate wether that is worth the chore. I've fed my ego plenty recently with my Duron results.

Not if it gives me nothing but headaches while yielding a negligible performance boost.

That's a Webster's worthy definition of overclocking ;)

In your scenario you would not yield even a negligible boost, as a 120mhz is more than plenty for the task.

Now in general, I would not recommend overclocking anything, unless you "frag" all day and all night, post FPS rate screenshots on message boards, and "fold" into oblivion just out of good will ;)

Wondering what caused the last BSOD is not pleasant, was it the fan #10 on the the southbridge failing, or has my Arctic Silver changed molecular structure, or was it Microsoft.

Cyrix CPUs don't overclock much. You will get a performance boost though if you can lower the multiplier and up the FSB to 83 MHz. I did this years ago with a 6x86MX PR200 running it at 83x2 instead of 66x3. The overall system performance was noticeably snappier.

If your at 66x2, you're already running at 133 MHz and I don't really think your CPU is gonna run at 75x2 = 150 MHz and 75x1.5 = 112.5 MHz would be slower. If you had an 83 MHz FSB, that would probably be your fastest alternative at 83x1.5 = 124 MHz. You also might find that your old motherboard has some "secret" undocumented multiplier settings.

I've tried different multipliers, even at a lower overall speed, no go. And 75mhz is my only remaining fsb option. My board documents 50, 60 & 66 but I figured out 75 and tested it, It'll post for long enough to verify the 75mhz but won't come even close to booting, not even a quick boot to DOS.

Back