• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

[New Built] I9-9900ks with some overclocking - Is it ok like this?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Yves81

Hi Everyone,
its a long time that i made a new pc built and i would like to know if what i planned out after some research is any good.
I dont care about optics and noise very much. The system will be used for gaming and work.

I live in Cyprus and it gets very hot in summer. Sometimes up to 45 Celsius (113 Fahrenheit) And yes i dont have AC. :)

My plan was to buy an already delidded and tested CPU up to 5ghz.

If possible i would also like to overclock to 5ghz.

From the research i did i came up with the following system: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/P2FqBZ

It would be nice if you could tell me if you would change anything or see any problems with it.

Overall it looks good...I just don't know how well any cooling short of a 3.120mm AIO/Custom loop will keep that processor cool with all cores and threads at 5 GHz wth 45C ambients. You may need to have a 'summer' overclock with lower clocks.

I assume you are gaming high Hz 2560 x1440 or 40K UHD 60 Hz to snag a 2080 Ti? If you are on 1080p you can save some cash and go 2080/2080 super, etc.

Thanks for the fast answer. In summer i dont game as much and i guess i could clock it down if needed.

I have a 3440x1440 curved Monitor that supports 120hz.

I already have the 2080 ti because i use it currently as an external graphic card with my macbook pro. Bought it last year, because i knew i wanted to get a desktop at some point. Is way underused in this setup and also sometimes my macbook pro overheats when playing, so not a longterm solution. At least i get like 40-80 fps in escape from tarkov. :p

Would you recommend using water cooling instead of the noctua? I watched some videos and read that basically most of the AIO Watercoolers are not much better then the noctua. Which watercooling AIO would you recommend?

From what i read the thermaltake 3 ultimate has the best cooling from the AIO solutions but has a bad software. I dont think i can do a custom loop myself.

Oh and also:
I would buy the delidded CPU from https://www.caseking.de/der8auer-core-i9-9900ks-5-0-ghz-advanced-edition-hpit-608.html (website in german) They basically gurantee a cpu that runs at 5ghz under 1,39v and runs around 8 c cooler then a non delidded chip.

Most are not better. This is why I suggested a beefy AIO, something that has 3,120mm radiator. Which one is better than that high-end ari cooler, I do not know offhand... but there should be reviews out there showing it's relative performance.

1.4V at 40C+ ambient is going tough to keep in order...

I went straight to a 2x140 custom loop with the best block I can get. I can tell you the 9900KS runs hot even with water temps in the low 30C range if you run it hard, even without OC.

It's winter here, and with a modestly warm house (65F), the CPU will still throttle on AVX loads. I haven't delidded it yet but I'm hoping that helps.

Depending on your loading, you're going to want the biggest, meanest air cooler you can get, or a big AIO.

Back