• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best Sub Z490 Mid-Range Board For Overclocking Ram

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

matterd1984

Hey all,

I currently have the following setup:

i7 10700
Asus Strix Z490-E
32gb (8gb x4) Corsair LPX 4333 Ram

I have had issues running all 4 ram sticks above 3833mhz. I've read most boards are daisy chained and cannot support 4 sticks at those numbers. Only board I've seen that might be able to this is the MSI Godlike Z490 board. Which I can't justify spending that much on a motherboard.

I've played around with 2 sticks only and managed to get 4533 overclock, but it seems I get maximum performance in my system with 4 sticks @ 3833mhz.

My question is would I have better results with a different board that's more feature rich for overclocking such as the EVGA Z490 FTW WIFI? I've read the strix-e is quite similar for features but I figured I'd ask here as I see the z490 evga ftw board on sale for 300cad all in right now and if it means I can get more overclock on my ram I figure it's worth flogging my strix board for 200-250 and trying this one out.

Thanks guys.

Most motherboards will reach DDR4-3866 and nothing more. Check QVL, most don't even have any 4 sticks at more than 3600/3866. DDR4-3866 is about the highest guaranteed unless you get something from top OC series but unless you need it for competitive benching then it's waste of money.
The cheapest motherboard which overclocks high and I can recommend is MSI Z490 Unify. On the QVL are 4 stick kits up to DDR4-4400. A cheaper option is Tomahawk which has the same QVL but I wasn't testing it.
The same is for AMD. I actually got X570 Unify for the same reason but for AMD. For Intel I have Z490I Unify but it's 2 slot motherboard. I remember that from these cheaper motherboards, ASRock Z490 PG Velocita could make a higher clock too.
You can also check some Gigabyte mobos as the new series seem pretty good but I wasn't testing them so I can't recommend anything.
Let's say that EVGA was never recommended for memory OC. Their Dark series mobos are fine but sometimes still cause some problems.

Most motherboards will reach DDR4-3866 and nothing more. Check QVL, most don't even have any 4 sticks at more than 3600/3866. DDR4-3866 is about the highest guaranteed unless you get something from top OC series but unless you need it for competitive benching then it's waste of money.
The cheapest motherboard which overclocks high and I can recommend is MSI Z490 Unify. On the QVL are 4 stick kits up to DDR4-4400. A cheaper option is Tomahawk which has the same QVL but I wasn't testing it.
The same is for AMD. I actually got X570 Unify for the same reason but for AMD. For Intel I have Z490I Unify but it's 2 slot motherboard. I remember that from these cheaper motherboards, ASRock Z490 PG Velocita could make a higher clock too.
You can also check some Gigabyte mobos as the new series seem pretty good but I wasn't testing them so I can't recommend anything.
Let's say that EVGA was never recommended for memory OC. Their Dark series mobos are fine but sometimes still cause some problems.

Hey thanks for response,

I think I'll wait until the 11900k series comes out and upgrade to a z590 board and I'll looking into the Z590 MSI unify board. Probably not worth the hassle of upgrading this late into the generation to gain an extra frame or two. Plus I believe Z590 will bring PCI 4.0 as well so that should hold me up for a few years for a decent upgrade. :)

Back