• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

[OC Beginner] MSI Z490 10900K OC help?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

NEW2OC

Registered
Hi everyone!

Total OC beginner here (been building PCs a long time but late to the OC game) and I have a few questions...

I just recently received a MSI Z490 Godlike + 10900K, slightly used, as a gift! I'm trying to decide what direction to go in with overclocking for what I do. I will mainly be using this PC for design (Photoshop, Character Creator 3/4, Blender, Unreal Engine, ArcGIS, Wonderdraft, ETC) with a focus on large scale map creation and some rendering, but I will also do some gaming here and there. Should I keep everything on auto except voltages to get my temps down(If so adaptive/fixed)? Or should I use turbo ratio for 5.2, 5.1, 5.0 ghz clocks based on number of cores in use or something like that? Will 5.1 or 5.0 all core be better performance-wise? I've been reading up but I feel like I have more questions now than when I first started researching!

Specs:
Custom case
EVGA 1000 P2
Arctic Freezer II 360(Push/Pull exhausting)
MSI Z490 Godlike (BIOS E7C70IMS.1A0)
i9-10900K
ASUS 2080 TI STRIX
G SKILL TRIDENT Z DDR4 3600 14-15-15-35
2 x 180mm Silverstone Air Pens

I'm attaching some screenshots to show what I'm at currently...

Annotation 2022-06-17 202810.png Annotation 2022-06-17 202829.png AUTO VOLT - 5.1.png CBR23 52-51-50 Ratio.png Cinebench mid run.png MSI_SnapShot_02.jpg MSI_SnapShot_03.jpg MSI_SnapShot_04.jpg MSI_SnapShot_05.jpg

Last edited:
It's tough for us to compare as you don't have the same information in the image for each. One shows wattage and volts while the other(s) do not.

Worth noting, VID is not Vcore. VID is the voltage ingrained in the processor for a given clock speed (we like to say, Voltage I Demand). VCore is the actual voltage it gets (and the important one).

Just an FYI, you can put both (multiple) apps in the same screenshot. Reduce the massive amount of whitespace in Hwinfo and it's easy. You can also change where things a viewed in Hwinfo so all the information you may want is on one screen.
View attachment 358195
Yes, that was a mistake that I didn't notice. If you look at some of my other screens I have vcore moved underneath system agent clock so it is right above my temps in my layout. Idk how it HWINFO's layout reset itself. Sorry about that. I wasn't able to replicate those same scores above using the same turbo ratios. Here are some new screens with results stacked:

Turbo 52/51

OCCT AVX Benchmark 52 - 51 Turbo.jpg OCCT Stress Test 2 cors 52 - all core 51 - turbo ratio settings.jpg R23 2 cores 52 - all core 51 Turbo Ratio settings.jpg

51 fixed (including BIOS settings...)

51 fixed with offset vcore.jpg 51 all core bios settings@1.5x.jpg

I've tried to run 5.1 all core at 1.25(errors during AVX stress test) - 1.275 override, 1.275 is stable to some extent but for some reason my scores are terrible outside of using an offset. I'm still trying to make sense of those results....

Edit: Forgot to mention I am on WIN10 Pro / 21H2 latest updates, if that matters. If you notice in the BIOS screenshots I'm not on the latest because I've heard that the newest one caused some serious issues for others.

Last edited:
50 points difference is like 0.3% difference. On this benchmark, you can sometimes pop a score that runs just a bit quicker, I don't see much difference, honestly.

50 points difference is like 0.3% difference. On this benchmark, you can sometimes pop a score that runs just a bit quicker, I don't see much difference, honestly.
Does the 10900K consistently beat the 1950x? If this is decent with an AIO I guess I should stick with the 5.1 all core and further tweak voltages until I'm happy with my temps... Would fixed vcore be better than sticking with an offset? Maybe set 1.275-1.29 and go with a droopier LLC?

I have both a MSI z390 ACE w/9900kf and MSI z490 Unify w/10600k so i will try and help some. I’m running a EVGA 360mm AIO with 6 Evga fans (3 push + 3 pull). One of your BIGGEST problems is leaving the cpu on auto for the avx offset. The offset ( I run mine at -3 with the cpu set to 5.1ghz) is used to reduce the cpu speed when running avx programs like CB-20, CB-23, GPUPI-3.2/3.3 ect..ec. When i set mine to auto ( i5-10600k unlocked) it down clocked my cpu from 5.1GHz to 4.5GHz. You ( I was also this way ) think that the CPU is running CB-20/23 @ 5.1/5.2 GHz, when in fact it’s down clocked to 4.4/4.5 GHz or lower as required by power/temp of the MB and/or CPU.

Many first timers also forget to actively cool their MB’s VRM section.

Info on running the ring-bus AKA cpu’s cache - it’s best to stay at 4.5 GHz, unless you are running at or below sub-zero temp.

Install Core Temp 1.17.1 ( https://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/ ) this gives you real-time cpu speed and temp readings.

Does the 10900K consistently beat the 1950x? If this is decent with an AIO I guess I should stick with the 5.1 all core and further tweak voltages until I'm happy with my temps... Would fixed vcore be better than sticking with an offset? Maybe set 1.275-1.29 and go with a droopier LLC?
It’s hard to compare a AMD 1950x that’s a 16c/36t HEDT CPU to your setup. If it runs faster great but it’s not needed unless your benching. From your post - I believe you are primarily work with a little gaming on the side? If true and the gaming happens after your done for the day, this is what I recommend.
IIRC - Gaming does not use all the cores on the cpu, so restart the computer and in the BIOS disable HyperThreading. This will give you a 10c/10t CPU and you should be able to set a 5.3/5.4ghz on the CPU.
* For work set the cpu at 5.1 ghz and the ring-bus to 4.5 ghz.
- I have a i5-7600k (4c/4t) that will run 5.0 GHz @ 1.375v and 5.4 GHz @ 1.6v.. If you look at your CB-23 + HwInfo post at the top of this page, you will see that 5.2 GHz pulled 1.439v - 1.469v depending on core. When you set a HARD voltage setting ( IE.. 1.250v or 1.325v) the MB/CPU does not go over that. So this means that setting 1.325v @ 5.2GHz may be okay for cores 1, 3, 5, 7, 8, 10 BUT NOT for the others that need 1.345v to work. They will run but create work errors that then need to be re-ran, thus creating more work for the cpu = lower scores.

I hope this helps :cool:

Back