• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

need help with the upgrade

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

soundhunter

Registered
Hi everyone!
I'd like to have some opinions on a future build.
What I have right now:
asus tuf x299 mark 1
i7 7800x
g skill 32 GB 16+16
seasonic prime platinum 850
samsung Evo plus 1gb + 2gb
rtx 3090 palit oc

because of the rtx 3090 I feel like it's better to upgrade to a new motherboard and cpu. So I was thinking about asus rog strix z490-e and i9 10900k. The build is for work (2d/3d graphics and sometimes video editing) and for games (right now in 3440x1440).
questions:
-Is it a good or bad a idea doing it right now? I mean of course 10900 is better than 7800 and pci-e 4.0 is better for the new card but is it that critical right now? Or maybe I should wait?
-Does rog strix z490-e actually have pci-e 4.0? I'm a bit confused here. There's a 3.0 one in motherboard specs. But I have heard that using it with the new cpu should unlock that feature. Sorry in case stupid question. I'm kinda noob here)
-10900 is quite a hot one) I've seen some tests with Noctua NH-D15 where the temperature wasn't higher than 65 c. Is it really that good? Or should I be prepared to higher temperature?
-I've seen some test where 850 psu wasn't enough. Is it my case?

At this point, wait a month and go amd. Faster and same cost or cheaper core for core is what it looks like. :)

At this point, wait a month and go amd. Faster and same cost or cheaper core for core is what it looks like. :)

thanks for the answer
so it'll be something like
ASUS ROG Strix X570-E Gaming or ASUS TUF GAMING X570-PLUS and Ryzen 9 5900X. and I can use what I already got(psu, ram etc) with those two, right?
but what about other questions (pci-e 4.0, psu, temperature)?

Last edited:
I'd go Strix E before TUF, but yep. :)

You can use the RAM I'd imagine, what is it, specifically?

The one I have is 32Gb DDR4 3600MHz G. Skill Sniper X
btw Does the AMD really worth it?
I was pretty comfortable with buying 10900. I mean I understand that 5900X is faster but is the difference that big?

I'd wait, your 6C/12T system isn't really a problem. Plus nobody knows for sure at this point how much, if any, advantage the new 5900X will have over a 10900K. And PCIe 4.0's main advantage now is in certain SSD benches, with negligible impact on GPUs. So, yeah chill for a bit.

The one I have is 32Gb DDR4 3600MHz G. Skill Sniper X
btw Does the AMD really worth it?
I was pretty comfortable with buying 10900. I mean I understand that 5900X is faster but is the difference that big?
that ram should be fine.

Is amd worth it? Maybe... we need to read some reviews when it releases to see, but their leaked performance is on par or better than the 10900k.

ryzens are out and right now I've got two options
5900x and asus x570-e gaming (I don't really see any point in getting crosshair viii)
or wait for rocket lake intel and z590 asus mb
I guess intel will be hotter and I don't really like the same 14nm so I guess I'm more interested in ryzen.
in that case it'll be my first amd cpu so idk what to expect from it.
Looks like it's faster and I hope there are no potential problems. the only thing I've heard so far is that the threadripper and 3000 ryzens can't use all cores in zbrush on decimation and maybe other operations(some friends with amd cpu tested it and the result was the same).

other components(mostly from current pc)
noctua nh-d15 chromax
gskill trident z rgb 32gb
samsung m.2 1tb+2tb
seasonic 1000 prime platinum

Back