• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Nvidia Graphics Card: Unknown (to me) component

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Luie

Hi.
I guess I'm outdated. I was modding an eVGA GeForce 6600GT.
Got one/two question:
whatisthat.jpg
What is the chip underneath the heatsink? and what does it do? I'm sure that is not the GPU. lol
The green pcb is a long rectangle and the core is a very elongated rectangle. (not like the GPU's square-ish rectangle)

*interesting* I took off that heatsink and I see that it's not thermal paste in between the core and the heatsink it is a sticky thermal pad. (the GPU/heatsink uses thermal paste)

*interesting 2* It gets warm and it is an component that bottlenecks overclocking if it gets too warm even when the GPU is nice and cool.

*interesting 3* It seems like the thermal probe is located there because the temperature graph shows a similar change in temperature (compared to before-mod) even when I have a big heatsink on the GPU (and it was significantly colder than that black heatsink; I touched it to compare the temp) while doing benchmarking. (the thermal probe might not actually be there; I'm just guessing) [maybe the GPU's heatsink is not firmly pressed onto the GPU which caused a big increase in temp even if the heatsink felt cool.]

For those who have a 6600GT and see that there is no temp monitoring function on their card, check out this page to enable it: http://www.ocia.net/articles/tempmonitoring/page1.shtml

And here's a random pic:
DSC05079.jpg

Last edited:
Trombe said:

wrong.

Its the HSI Bridge Chip. I'm guessin that 6600GT is AGP (looks like it). the 6600 is a PCI-E native card (meaning its made to run PCI-E, unlike the 6800 series). That bridge chip transforms the card from PCI-E-->AGP. the 6800 series is AGP native, so that there is a bridge chip on the PCI-E models. If you need more information, consumer9000 knows a lot about the nVidia cards (and vid cards in general)

Throw another vote for the HSI Bridge on the fire :)

Originally I thought it was RAM too, but then noticed the 4 BGA chips that were sticking out :D
JigPu

I believe that HSI Bridge thing is right also, I remember reading something about what it was when that card came out.

It's the bridge. Can find that out anywhere you look for a review on AGP 6600 cards.

yea, its the agp bridge. Anyone know of a place that sells upgraded heatsinks for it? My stocker is horrible.

Just get a normal heatsink and cut part of it off. Or two Zalman northbridge chipset heatsinks might fit...

I will explain. That is what is known as an HSI bridge chip. What it does is it converts the much faster bus of the PCI-E graphics card into the slower AGP signal.

This allows a card that would not nativly run on AGP to be able to do so without an issue. You will find this device on many cards. Each has their own design and serves a different purpose.

Think of the HSI bridge chip as your gfx card's southbridge :)

I see. Thanks very much for the very detailed and quick responses. :-D
No wonder I'm not familiar with it. PCI-E era... :p

LOL.
I mean, thanks everyone, including SolidxSnake.
I did read and learned from your detailed reply too. :-D

Back