• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Vote, 6800GT single now then drop another one in later or X800 Pro flashed to X800XT

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

fultz

Vote, 6800GT single now then drop another one in later or X800 Pro flashed to X800XT

I can either buy a single 6800GT and OC it to ultra speeds, then drop in a second 6800GT at ultra speeds into my sli board when the price lowers or I can get a single X800 PRO and risk flashing it to X800 XT Bios, which do you think would be the better idea?

i would get the GT since the x800pro doesn't mod to XT on the pci-e version, the agp models success rate have dropped as well, x800xl isn't a bad option

I don't think you can go wrong with a 6800gt, but I fear that once a 6800gt drops down to fairly cheap, you'd be better off selling your GT and buying a new single card. A single 7800GTX is about 80% as fast as 6800gt SLI right now. (from what I've seen)

EDIT:Ohh, I forgot to mention a few other things. 2 6800GT's would make a ton of heat and draw a ton of power compared to a single card. I think you would need to invest at least $100 into a power supply to run them well, assuming you don't have a very nice one already.

But don't let this deter you from getting the GT, its still an amazing card, I'm just a big skeptical about sli.

I don't think you can go wrong with a 6800gt, but I fear that once a 6800gt drops down to fairly cheap, you'd be better off selling your GT and buying a new single card.

Ditto. This is what I have been saying ever since people have been saying they were spending more on a SLI motherboard just so they could add another card later when trheir games don't run as they wish. This logic is completely flawed for the reason Yuriman stated.

So should I get a single card instead and forget about getting SLI? I figure I'd save about $50 on the mobo which I could put towards getting a $400 card instead, any ideas for good $400 cards or should I wait for the R250 (if it comes within the next month or so) and wait for the 6800GTX to drop?

I think it will take a LONG time for the 7800GTX to drop down to around $400. Either way, you are still limited to a ~$400 card and I don't think you can get much better. If it comes to that, you might as well get a better motherboard, OR you can spend that money on extra ram/hard drive space.

i concur, especially as x800pros have a habit of dying when you mod them (if you mod to xt speeds as well as 16 pipes), and anyway 6800gts tend to oc to well above x800xt performance in everything except source.

Back