• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED One of ours has fallen - Overhaul now or later

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
So...I may have killed something beautiful. My desktop may have been partially fried in a thunderstorm last night despite being behind a UPS and unplugged as soon as power got weird. "Unrecognized boot device" in Windows, and a strange "Unable to access ROM/ROM access denied" message in BIOS despite the UEFI GUI coming up and everything else otherwise acting normally.

So anyway. I'm several months out of date, and in this game that's the equivalent of never playing it. I throw the question that comes up...probably daily. Do I "do the do" now or later.

If this had happened 6 months ago (and parts were available...) I'd have grabbed a 5600X/mobo, new case, some extra RAM, and a larger NVMe drive without making a thread. But now the question is do I wait? I know DDR5 is right around the corner, as well as USB4 and whatever.

I did just pick up a new laptop a few months ago. I use it as an actual laptop maybe once every 2 months, so I can survive plugging an external monitor, mouse, and keyboard into it for the time being, so I can wait if something big is just a few weeks/months away.

TL:DR - Do I do my patriotic duty and use my 3 day weekend to go to MC in the morning and drop a grand, or do I wait?

I'm not sure damage from lightening storm power surges qualify as a valid reason for an RMA of the motherboard. Yeah, Freakadiablo, bad timing. Components are terribly expensive right now. Do you have another rig you can test the RAM in to make sure it wasn't damaged?

Have you tried Linux on a thumb drive? Possible the BIOS needs a reflash?

Have not dealt with a lightning strike before so I am grasping for straws. But, I would try a few things before buying components in this market or waiting a year for DDR5.

Reflash the bios???

Sounds like the bios chips got fried or something and you ssd was affected. Test the ssd in another system... same with any other parts (though your messages lean towards bios and boot drive).

The board is most definitely out of warranty anyway - system is an old Skylake build, going on 5 years at least. The primary reason I was considering just upgrading.

Playing with it a bit this morning, looks like the SSD works, just got corrupted even though the system never went through a hard shutdown. I can get in to the Windows recovery menu (probably should've mentioned the error came up as a BSOD, not a command line error), have it do a disk check, but can't recover.

I'll try a BIOS update at some point today.

Update - You *******s foiled my plan to upgrade. After rolling back windows (not sure if that did anything helpful but did it anyway) and re-flashing the BIOS which took way longer than it should have (note to future self - make sure the flashdrive you have the BIOS file on is FAT32...) I was able to get this hunk of trash to boot.

The board is most definitely out of warranty anyway - system is an old Skylake build, going on 5 years at least. The primary reason I was considering just upgrading.

Playing with it a bit this morning, looks like the SSD works, just got corrupted even though the system never went through a hard shutdown. I can get in to the Windows recovery menu (probably should've mentioned the error came up as a BSOD, not a command line error), have it do a disk check, but can't recover.

I'll try a BIOS update at some point today.

Update - You *******s foiled my plan to upgrade. After rolling back windows (not sure if that did anything helpful but did it anyway) and re-flashing the BIOS which took way longer than it should have (note to future self - make sure the flashdrive you have the BIOS file on is FAT32...) I was able to get this hunk of trash to boot.

Do not let a (now) functional computer stop your upgrade plans. DO IT!

PM me your address I'll send you a hammer. That'll set your rig on the proper path to destruction.

Back