• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Video edditing computer

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

EllNeno

Iam making a video editing machine here in the next month or two and I have been out the game of computer hardware for quit some time now and allot has changed (AMD and Intel that is). Anyways this machine needs to render fast so I don’t waste all my time. I will not be playing games so game is not an issue I just want to know what would be the fastest to render AMD or is it still Intel. I also would like to be able to use the new 64 bit version of windows also. Price is always an issue I would like to keep the price at $250. Any impute would be appreciated.

I'd look at the Pentium 4-D's. Dual core love that loves to overclock and I believe they have the 64bit extensions. Go with a I945 board since the I955's are priced to the stratosphere and you only loose minisciule performance.

The video front I'd look at an All In Wonder setup for grabbing raw video or if you don't want ati or you don't like having all your eggs in one basket. The Theatrix 550Pro by Sapphire is a damned nice unit for video capture.

$250? That isn't gonna get you much of a machine for rendering. The chip and board alone is over $250.

I wouldn't get the All in Wonder because you might want to upgrade the video card later and want to keep the Capture ability.

For rendering get a Pentium Chip and lots of RAM.

i was saying that i dont want to spend more then 250 on the cpu alone not the whole rig

2 cores will be faster than 1 core. Ive always hated HT, its like the dual CPU imitation

If your SERIOUS, though, go with a dual Xeon. (or whatever theyre up to now). If its budget, dual AMDs. If the dual core CPUs perform just as good (but are cheaper) go that route. Plus with the dual CPU boards, you get nice features like onboard RAID, SCSI, buttload of memory capacity, gigabit lan (nice for network renders/DVD encoding)

I had one board had a RAID preset for video editing. VERY nice to have

Im a video nut, ask any questions you may have. I just switched to apple which IMo is best for videos/CG/Art, but im looking to do videos for a living, so...i dont think thats quite the soloution for you.

What programs do you plan on running? What footage are you bringing in? VHS/SVHS/Betacam/MiniDV? If its all digital you wont need the all in wonder, just firewire.

Newbie id suggest Premiere. Stay away from Ulead. i started out on that, renders are nice and fast, however, the quality is just awful. For some reason you can look at a video and KNOW it came from ulead.

If your looking to be pro, look into Avid. Im pretty sure they have a network render function now?

All in wonders are nice, but if your serious about video editing, get the dual monitors, and most AIW's dont have dual plus video in (or do they now?) Or just a second video card

Ive been out of x86 for only 4 months but i see its sort of evolved (or we just have new big CPUs with fancy dual cores) So if im alittle outdated forgive me.

Also, your renders will be faster if you have a fast disk array. So Sata/Raid/SCSI is a strong suggestion.

Dont forget, youll need Windows XP PRO, since the others dont support Dual CPU. (whats the verdict on that still?)

Sadly im being dragged back to X86, since apple switched to intel. So i can live in my powerPC bubble for a few years, but it will end.

Again, any questions let me know. My knowledge is limited about ram types, CPUs, etc...but programs, editing, footage, SPFX all that fun stuff im full of.

Back